Agitation and retreating

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lrade27 4 months ago.

• Author

Getittogethergirl
    Participant

I feel like I go through cycles of having a lovely, even-temper for a while and managing the normal annoyances of life quite well and then all of the sudden I get hit with feelings of extreme agitation and the constant impulse to retreat. It also comes with a need to get away from noise and chaos, which is problematic in a house with 3 kids under 7. I know this is probably normal even for neurotypical people and especially for young moms, but I can’t quite determine the triggers or figure out how to control the intense feelings of agitation. It’s almost like sensory overload and emotional overwhelm that takes days rather than hours to recuperate from and I find myself seeking hyper focus to cope. I also have a terrible time with evenings. By about 7pm I am emotionally and physically done and my meds have worn off. Some nights are better than others, but it is a real obstacle for me. Any ideas on how I can cope without retreating from my duties and family?

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

It’s common to be overwhelmed and agitated when there’s a lot of chaotic noise. You could also be hypersensitive, which would magnify the intensity.

Are You Hypersensitive?

Have you tried music with headphones? Can you go into another room and close the door for an hour to get some things done?

I am spent by dinner time too (fibromyalgia in my case). I’ve learned not to expect much from myself in the evenings and to accept that this is ok — it doesn’t make me a bad mom. I don’t do any chores in the evening. I vegetate in front of the TV for a while and then off to bed. That’s my self-care, and it’s totally acceptable.

Figure out what you need to be the most productive individual and loving mom and make that happen. Your family will benefit from that too.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Getittogethergirl
    Participant

Thank you!

lrade27
    Participant

I am exactly the same. By the evening, my tolerance level is low. I feel horrible because my sons are just being kids, but the noise level is too much. I have been trying very hard to take sometime to meditate or just be in silence around this time. That has been very helpful.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.