Aggression and irritability

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 6 months ago.

• Author

bailleycat
    Participant

I also posted this under the “behaviors forum” I’m new on here, so I hope I’m not breaking any type of rules for posting this twice.

After being on here a while and reading post after post, I figure I should just jump in and write what we are going through. 2 Months ago, our son was diagnosed with ADHD. we’ve had difficulty with him in school since he was 2 years old. At daycare, he got in trouble for climbing on things, hitting other kids, doing things just to get a reaction from the teachers. As he got older, Kinder and now 1st grade, he has had severe tantrums, kicking/scratching the teachers, destroying the principles offices. aggression issues, irritability, moodiness. His teacher says he can be happy and sweet one minute and the next become completely pissed and off-hindged. His new thing this week is to be completely disruptive in class and shouting, rolling around on the floor, talking over the teacher. To the point where he got suspended yesterday. We feel so lost with all of this! We have tried to make sense of it all and just can’t. The thing we don’t understand is how he acts this way ONLY at school and we see nothing of this behavior at home. At home and everywhere else he is sweet, loving, compliant. We just don’t get it! Could it be something other than ADHD? I’ve tried educating myself on the subject and sometimes it feels like it might be and other times, not so much. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

The key is to ask WHY these behaviors are happening. You’ve already noted one trigger, the environment — if it’s only happening at school then there’s something in that environment, maybe many things, that are triggering behavior.

Behavior is communication. What is his behavior signaling? Could be many things at school like sensory overwhelm (too loud, too bright, too chaotic, too fast…), social struggles, lagging emotional communication and regulation, etc.

I would request, in writing to the principle, an FBA (Functional Behavior Assessment). A behaviorist should facilitate this meeting and guide all parties to understanding the functions of the behaviors and setting strategies to address them.

Functional Behavior Assessment: The Solution to Misbehavior at School

And, if you haven’t, I strongly recommend you read Ross Greene’s “The Explosive Child.”

Time for Plan B? 10 Tips for Dealing with the Explosive Child

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.