Aetna insurance problem / need help!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Aetna insurance problem / need help!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  brettaustinlawrence 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

brettaustinlawrence
    Participant

Hi,

Had a family change in job situation and switched insurance carriers on 9/1. Old carrier had a prescription co-pay, and we got our 18-year-old son’s monthly Adderall scrip for $10/mo (for brand name).

New insurance is Aetna, and we don’t get prescription coverage until we hit our $6,000 deductible. However, just found out today that Aetna’s price for Adderall 25 mg XR (60 pills) is $307. I can walk in off the street with NO INSURANCE AT ALL at CVS and buy the same scrip for just $77. At CostCo, it’s just $66.

So, I thought I could just pay the discounted $77 price to get the scrip each month at CVS. Hurts a little compared to the $10/month, but … we’d cover it out of HSA and it would count toward deductible. Except Aetna is telling me THAT IF I PAY THE $77 discounted price IT WILL NOT COUNT TOWARD DEDUCTIBLE. I MUST pay $307/month for the prescription cost to count toward our deductible and out of pocket pax. So, my deductible and out of pocket max just basically increased by $1,000/year if I can’t find a workaround.

Has anyone else run into something like this and found a solution or workaround?

Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.