Adult Diagnosis and Assessment: What can I expect?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Adult Diagnosis and Assessment: What can I expect?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Asmith319 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

asherf
    Participant

Tomorrow I go to talk to my psychologist for an ADD assessment. This is my 3rd meeting with her and I feel comfortable to this point to get the conversation started. Of course in my mind I am over thinking things, replaying how it will go (good and bad), and getting my anxiety up for no reason. I am just unsure how to go about this.

I never thought nor knew anything about ADD – I lived my life thinking this is how it was like many of you. But after 2 kids, a high stress job, money and relationship issues I feel like this can’t be the way it has to be, this isn’t normal and if I hear I am just going through postpartum or this is ‘mom brain’ one more time I am going to scream! I think there is such a stigma behind ADD/ADHD and when you mention it to family member’s or close friends they kinda laugh. It is like a diagnosis of being depressed or anxious is more accepted than thinking I have ADD. There is also a sense of worry that people will think I am medication seeking or excuse seeking and that is not it. Why is it so difficult to bring this up.

My biggest question is after my assessment how long could it take to get a plan for treatment? The last 4 weeks have been really difficult for me. Work has increased pressure with a promotion to help one issue but my creativity and freedom are becoming much more limited and I am unable to focus of what I need to do. By the time I am home I am so drained that I don’t want to clean or do those household tasks that are already difficult for me in the first place. FORGET about trying to be organized with a 3 year old running around. Before that I worked from home, allowing me to do some household stuff on my own time but my work slipped. Needless to say I have no work life balance because one is always suffering. Before this bites me in the butt I need to really focus (ironic) on getting a routine and treatment in place. I am not good with routine so setting goals is a joke but it is really the only trick that people keep telling me to do. All I know is my husband may divorce me if I lose, misplace, or leave the keys in the car one more time. Two nights ago I KNEW I didn’t leave them in the car, hubby goes to the car to look and finds them on the outdoor chair. I was so upset because I tried SO HARD to remember them to only have it be much worse!

Sorry for the long post, it is good to know I am not alone. I keep reading everyone’s posts and there is the same sense of confusion and self doubt at this stage. Hope the outcomes are good tomorrow to actually explain how I am feeling. Thank you all for reading!

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  asherf.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

The time between your assessment and starting treatment depends entirely on your clinician.

There are things you can do to help in the meantime.

(1) start trying some alternative treatments:

The Case (and Means) for Holistic ADHD Treatment

(2) implement as much structure and routine as you can in your daily life. For things you do every day, how many of them can be done at the exact same time every day? What can be done in the same order every time (getting ready in the morning? I have a routine in the shower even, so I don’t forget to condition my hair or shave my legs)? For weekly tasks, do them the same day and time every week. For monthly tasks, always do them on the same day of the month. Etc…

Free Resource: Get Control of Your Life and Schedule

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Asmith319
    Participant

Hi Asherf,

I have just been through the process myself and after my diagnosis (on Tuesday) I was given an appointment for 2 weeks time.

I wish you the best of luck with your assessments and remember, even if it isn’t ADHD there could be other underlying issues so please don’t give up

X

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.