Adult add not child

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  wb1001 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

wb1001
    Participant

Hi there, new to this as only recently found out i may have adhd, following what I could only call a mental breakdown 5 weeks ago where I handed myself into a+e feeling like I could no longer cope. Had past history of depression but I always thought there may be more to it as I do really struggle with the day to day. After seeing a mental health team they believe it to be adhd which I’m struggling to get my head round. As I don’t remember having any symptoms as a child? But after doing some research on the symptoms of adhd,as an adult I do fit most the criteria I must admit. in my area there is a 2 year waiting list to get the full diagnosis so I’m still a bit up in the air with what’s going on. Just wondered if it really was worth waiting for the full diagnosis or to keep pursuing other options as when I went to the hospital I didn’t really know what to expect but adhd was last on my list, just was keen to understand have any other adults struggled quite severely due to it without so much struggling as a child ?

Thanks for reading
    B

quietlylost
    Participant

I was diagnosed as an adult. I had never really considered it in the past, having instead gotten treatment for a mood disorder for most of my adult life. I was skeptical at first when it was suggested as a possibility, but I worked with my provider for about a year and a half before he finally decided to diagnose me with ADHD and start me on medication. Immediately I began to do a ton of research to find out more to see if it was actually accurate.

I think as adults we often miss things that we did or didn’t do as a child. I always thought I couldn’t have ADHD because I was well-behaved and did relatively well in school. I wasn’t usually climbing around on things or talking out of turn. That being said, when I got more information from people in my life as well as reflecting on some of the possible symptoms, I started to notice more things that connected. I’d say as a child I was probably more the inattentive type than hyperactive. That being said, I can look back now on my adult life and see how ADHD helps explain a lot of my struggles as well as a lot of my successes.

For example, I struggled a lot in college at times but then did really well at others. I think there was a lot of impulsivity, but also a lot of boredom and lack of routine. I do really well when I have a structure and a routine, and I have developed strategies over the years to help me stay organized, keep track of objects and bills, and also make sure I keep appointments. I still struggle a lot, even on medication, but I’ve found that the diagnosis has been helpful in giving me more information as well as connecting me to more tools and understanding than I had before.

If you’re interested in the diagnosis, you can read a lot and find out a lot by reading books, checking out podcasts, and even by watching the HowToADHD Youtube channel. In the end the diagnosis itself may not be important unless it helps change your treatment plan (i.e. a new medication). In general, most providers “can” diagnose ADHD but most are reluctant to do so. If you don’t want to wait two years, you can always talk to your current providers about seeking evaluation sooner through them or start looking for outside evaluation. Bottom line, keep looking into things for yourself. Find out if ADHD makes sense. If it does, find out ways that you can educate yourself and find ways to manage the symptoms more effectively.

I was skeptical at first, but now I’m a believer. It’s been beneficial for me to know. I can’t go back and change anything, including my past mistakes and challenges, but I do have more knowledge about how to move forward and make positive changes.

H. O. L. L. O. W
    Participant

I somehow squeaked through life for almost 35 years before being diagnosed and most importantly, medicated. In my opinion, you should find some medication now. It seems ridiculous that you have to wait 2 years to get medicated. I know that sounds like I’m telling you to do something illegal. But but medication is vital in treating and managing the symptoms of ADHD. You will know pretty quickly after taking medication if it is helping. I personally believe Vyance is the best ADHD medication for adults.
    There are also some supplements that are very similar to Vyvanse and Adderall. it’s unbelievable they’re going to make you wait 2 years before they give you any medication or help you. I’m really sorry

wb1001
    Participant

Thank you for your replies, when I went to drs for the first time about this they prescribed me a mood stabiliser which I’m still taking as I haven’t been told not too? Although I’m not sure it’s correct for adhd or helping, as after the breakdown I have been off work and my life has kind of ground to a bit of a halt, I have been doing lots of research in order to get a heads up of what’s to come and how I can help myself going forward. But not being in my normal routine (not that I really had one more running around like a headless chicken). All of it has kindle spiralled really. I was just curious because most places I look it’s seems to stem from childhood which I don’t remember but it seems like that isn’t quite the case.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.