ADHD,PTSD & TYPE 1 DIABETES!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults ADHD,PTSD & TYPE 1 DIABETES!

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      roddyj1
      Participant

Hi all,

Straight to the point as usual!

I have a bad case of ADHD, i have also in recent times developed a serious bout of PTSD from the trauma attributed to my ADHD and last but not least TYPE 1 DIABETES! that is pretty much 3 full time jobs there! I am really struggling to cope. i am hoping someone out there that has this curse can maybe give me some words of wisdom or just share there own experience!

cheers,

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Counseling or therapy can be extremely helpful to develop coping mechanisms that work for you:

“Therapy Helped Me…”

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Nconover
      Participant

I also have Type 1 diabetes and ADHD – funny but I never saw a connection between ADHD and the difficulty in managing the diabetes, but it makes sense! Being type 1 diabetic is stressful for anyone. Maybe we could start an online support group? I’m 60 and been diagnosed and on insulin since age 30 – you? I’ve been trying the IGM device but horrible skin reaction so letting it go for now, just must measure constantly on glucometer. Not on pump. Happy to hear what youre doing,
      Nance from Oakland

Purplepoppies
      Participant

Hi, I have ADHD and PTSD. I don’t have any words of wisdom, except that I know the two conditions overlap and tend to “feed off each other”. I’ve noticed that my stimulant meds help control the intrusive thoughts, nightmares, and flashbacks, but other than that, working with a therapist I trust is paramount to my survival right now. I don’t know the details of how you developed PTSD; mine stems from ongoing childhood trauma and then later an abusive marriage/domestic violence. I’m now 47 years old, divorced for 3 years and living with my parents while I attempt to get my life back together. I’m not working at this time since this combo is kicking my butt.

I just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone. I, myself, have had a hard time finding other people with this dual diagnosis, and also any real info online about the ramifications of having PTSD and ADHD.

Maybe we should start a group… I know my ADHD contributed a lot to my inability to get out of my marriage, and it was also used as a weapon against me.

Peace-

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Purplepoppies.
Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.