ADHD + Substance Abuse

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      bjsnode28
      Participant

Hello,
      I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult about 5 years ago. During that time I had to have several surgeries to correct a shoulder injury. Because of the multiple surgeries, I became physically dependent on pain killers. I want to stress physically dependent because I had no idea that my body was hooked until I just stopped taking pain killers and became very sick. I was put on Zubsolv to manage the symptoms. Because of me being on Zubsolv, I’m finding it almost impossible to find a psychiatrist to prescribe stimulants. Any suggestions?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are many people with ADHD and a history of substance abuse that take ADHD medication. I think it takes the right clinician and one with experience in this area, which certainly may be challenging to find.

What You Should Know About ADHD Meds if You Have a History of Substance Abuse

ADHD Doctor? Psychologist? Therapist? Finding the Best Treatment Professional

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.