ADHD might not be the root of your problems!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD ADHD might not be the root of your problems!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  macaddictjay 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

jakem21
    Participant

This last week has been a roller coaster of emotions for me. I found out that I have depression this week. Before I found out that I had depression I was being extremely hard on myself and I was doing anything to forget about my problems (Lots of ganja). Anyway the point I’m trying to make here is that I was blaming all my problems on my ADHD and I never even gave depression any thought. If you feel a bit off, even just a tad, go see a doctor. I let it drag on for about a month and it was one of the worst months of my life. If you find yourself feeling less motivated and continuously feeling lazy please get help. Don’t disregard the possibility of having depression. DON’T WAIT!

H. O. L. L. O. W
    Participant

Depression and anxiety coexist with adhd….
    And for me, developed because of my adhd….
    The frustration of unmanaged adhd will foster anxiety
    And depression. It’s common place. Gabapentin
    Squashed my anxiety. Perhaps the greatest
    Antianxiety med ever created (***can’t guarantee
    It will work for you, but OMFG!!! It worked for me***)….. the sackajuweeda could make your depression worse, if you don’t quell what’s at the
    Root of your depression. You find that out
    You will be free. I know that depression can be
    Externally and internally caused…(biochemical
    Distortion and disruption) you need to examine the
    Root cause. I know how debilitating
    Depression can be. I feel for you.

macaddictjay
    Participant

My story: I was diagnosed with ADD at age 42 (by the VA), and medicated (with the typical Ritalin/Prozac-for-depression) for the next 20 years. Then, my wife, awakened by my snoring, convinced me to get tested for Sleep Apnea (again by the VA). I was sent home with a CPAP machine, and was told the protocol: use it for a month, bring it back, we’ll analyze its recordkeeping chip and will determine whether or not it’s solving your problem. When the month was up, I felt great and had never been doing better, ever. I decided to start skipping my medicines to see if it would make a difference. It did not. I have taken no medicines since, for the last 13 years. I can’t guarantee that everyone will share my experience, but I tell any medical or educational professional I meet: If you think your problem is “only” ADD or ADHD, GET TESTED FOR SLEEP APNEA! The new marines are covered by insurance, are custom-fitted for you, are comfortable and super-quiet. Just do it!

Every time I tell my story to a health professional or educator, they are always surprised. They live in separate silos, and have financial and career incentives to NOT integrate this knowledge into their interior databases.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.