ADHD meds for my child

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Kiwi82
      Participant

I became a first time mom in 2019. My child was diagnosed with ADHD a couple of years ago(while in the system. She was placed with us feb 2019 adopted in nov). She was on ProCentra and Clonidine. She was SOOO aggressive. So we discontinued the procentra and later the clonidine(she was so lethargic). We decided to try a year of school without it kindergarten. She struggled a little but it wasn’t so bad. This year however she is struggling a lot, so we decided to try meds again. This time Concerta. It has only been a couple of days but the aggression is back, but its not while the meds are working, like with procentra. It’s as soon as they wear off. She gets so defiant over little things, sometimes she just balls her little hands and shakes and screams for no apparent reason. I hate seeing her like that. I honestly feel, if they gave her something for anxiety instead maybe it would work better without the aggression. Should I keep trying the stimulants? Would they even try anxiety meds on a 6yr old? Being a new mom and new to ADHD, I feel very intimidated am not sure what questions to ask her doctor? Any advice would be welcome.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Issues with mood when stimulatns wear off is common. It’s called rebound. Some doctors will prescribe a small sort-acting dose for the afternoon to ease the transition.

ADHD Medication Rebound: What to Do When a Prescription Wears Off

But, if that doesn’t work, there are many, many ADHD stimulants to try. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. She could do better with amphetamine-based stimulants, but there’s no way to know which type is best for her without trying both.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.