ADHD is the most debilitating

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond ADHD is the most debilitating

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi folks,

I am so glad that I have found this forum and ADDitude mag. I have bought one issue and am considering a full-time subscription. So my name is Matt and I am 39yo. I have been formally and properly diagnosed over the course of my life by child and adult psychiatrists with: ADHD, OCD, Asperger’s (Asperger’s is sub clinical now apparently). My OCD has always caused me the most distress and that’s what I’ve sought treatment for (very successful). I went from very bad compulsions to only compulsions now and then through extensive CBT.

I have come to realise that my ADHD is the most debilitating disorder in terms of disorder created in my professional and personal life. I ignored it for many years because I didn’t think I was very hyperactive so I mustn’t have ADHD right? Well the more I’ve read about it, the more I’ve seen the hyperactivity component of my condition.

For example, I get ear-worms and I end up subconsciously singing them very loudly. Today I’ve been loudly and theatrically singing “The Nanny” theme song over and over again to the annoyance of my GF. Well there is a manifestation of the hyperactivity and I didn’t even realise.

Anyways, it’s the other symptoms of my ADHD that causes the most harm, the procrastination (OMG I can procrastinate like you would NOT believe and I hate it), the lateness, the forgetfulness and disorganisation – the impulsive spending, the starting new things often but not (or rarely) following through, the buying things I don’t need and the inability to hold onto jobs. What upsets me is thinking about the chances that I have let slide, the things that I have blown. I feel like a loser. What also frustrates me is that I can be a really good worker – one of the best in fact but it isn’t consistent and I often get fired or piss off bosses. I am a qualified electrician (excellent work but I am sometimes slow, disorganised, my tools and parts are scattered everywhere in my van) but am trying to retrain into something I can properly cope with.

I live in Australia, in a location where ADHD isn’t really acknowledged or recognised in adults, the doctors here don’t seem to consider it a proper disorder lately – like for them it has gone out of vogue (I think this is because of a now jailed, rogue psychiatrist that overdosed and over-prescribed dexamphetamines). But as they say, reality is such as when you forget about it or deny it – it still exists anyway, and no matter how much others (or myself) deny my ADHD, it’s still there anyway. So to reiterate, I am really glad that I have found ADDitude. God bless America for having such organisations, seriously.

I guess I wanted to ask also, have you folks experienced the symptoms that I list above? I have an ironclad diagnosis of ADHD from childhood so I guess I just want to meet others that experience the same so I don’t feel so alone. Thankyou in advance for your thoughts,

Regards,

Matt.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

What you described falls under the umbrella of executive functioning deficits, which are part of ADHD. Here are some insights and strategies you may find helpful:

Do More. Procrastinate Less. Feel Great.

The Adult ADHD Mind: Executive Function Connections

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

NumbAllDay
      Participant

Matt YES! I have the hyperactive ear-worms as well. It can be terribly difficult to focus after listening to music for me. It’s odd how difficult we both struggle with OCD and ADHD and also I’ve been diagnosed with an atypical autism, so I totally know where you’re coming from. Please feel free to message me and we can talk more! I believe we have an incredible amount of similarities and our experiences may greatly benefit one another.

Thank you for the articles to look through ADHD Momma, much appreciated.

Hi NeedFocus,

It is uncanny that we share similar symptoms, I would very much like to PM – I can’t seem to find out how to. Do I need to become financial before I can send PM’s?

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

We do not have a private message function at this time.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.