Adhd inattentive meds for teen boy

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Adhd inattentive meds for teen boy

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • #116626

      Our son was diagnosed with adhd inattentive, executive processing deficits, and underlying anxiety at age 10. We have not had him on meds, but find he is struggling as a sophomore in high school, and quick to lose his temper when stressed or frustrated. He is hesitant to try medication, because he is afraid it will change him, and he has seen other kids act numbed out on medication. We want him to try medication, to help with his focus, and hopefully his emotions/anxiety. He is not turning in assignments and getting poor grades,due to missing work. His therapist said it is up to him to take medication, as he is 16. Any suggestions on how we get him to give them a try?

    • #116650

      If you can the best thing for him to do is see a Psychiatrist for medication options. We started with the family Doctor, but he eventually did not feel comfortable with the increase in dosage as it was not his specialty. We found a Psychiatrist who took the time to talk with my sons and see how they think and feel on the medication and will adjust the dosage as needed. My 12 yr. old son is on Prozac for stress and anxiety, it has helped him with the anxiety a lot. Both of my sons take medication for ADHD one is on Adderall and the other is on Ritalin. The Adderall works well for my older son along with the Prozac. My younger son (8) acted more hyper on the Adderall so we had to switch him to the Ritalin.
      My younger son has improved this year greatly going from reading 8 words a minute to 59 words a minute. It may not sound like much, but he is into reading books now and has the attention span to keep with a topic more than a few minutes. My older son started Junior High and is in modified classes. He is struggling not from the medication, but lack of preparedness on his and our part for the difference between grade levels.
      Ask your son if he is willing to at least go to a meeting with the Psychiatrist with no pressure on taking the meds. Let him talk to them and see if medication is the right option or if your son can communicate how / what he feels is going on in his life. The Psychiatrist might recommend a course of action that your son would be willing to try.

      • #116655

        Thank you so much!

    • #116651

      Advice for your son- if he goes ‘numbed out’ or ‘zombified’, that means that either the medication is wrong, or the dosage is wrong. There are about 50 different ADHD medications, which don’t all work in the exact same way, meaning that there’s a ‘right’ medication for most people.

      I got medicated in January (27 years old), and I’m not numb in any way, shape, or form. I’m more ‘me’ than I’ve ever been. Just ask my fiancĂ©e. Instead of stressing out over trying to figure out whether to take out the food garbage or the main garbage first, and in the process forgetting to do dishes (then stressing about THAT later), I’m getting everything done in half the time it normally takes me, and I’ve more time to do the things I want, and I’m in a better mood while I do them. I still do random dances to make people laugh, I still will happily drip everything to hang out with someone, but when I want and need to focus on something, I’m completely able to.

      The RIGHT meds do wonders for you. It’s just a case of finding them. Worst case scenario is that he tries meds and a) none of them work, or b) he just doesn’t like the feeling of being on them (both are really flip sides of the same coin, if they work properly, you should love the feeling), in which case, you just stop taking them, and carry on as before.

      But, if your son DOES start taking meds, he has to take them religiously, according to the instructions from his specialist. No ‘days off’, no fiddling with the dosage, no ‘I have an exam tomorrow, I’ll take two’. None of that. If the dose is insufficient, consult the specialist. Any negative side effects? Talk to the specialist. Anything out of the ordinary, makes you want to stop, take more, or whatever? Specialist. Always consult the specialist.

      Anyway, that’s my piece. Hope this helps 🙂

    • #116704
      Penny Williams

      Talk to him about giving it a try with an agreement (in writing) ahead of time that if he feels “numbed out,” you can try a different medication or stop altogether. He might be willing if he knows he doesn’t have to continue if it slows him down too much where he can’t be himself.

      And, when that happens, it’s because it’s the wrong medication or too high a dose. Make sure he is always started on the very lowest dose.

      A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.