ADHD-IEP=NON SUPPORTIVE SCHOOL

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning ADHD-IEP=NON SUPPORTIVE SCHOOL

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  3xpisces 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

3xpisces
    Participant

I am new to forum my 8 year old son was diagnosed in 2nd grade after being asked to leave cuurent school. Re applied they let him back in and it has been a GREAT challenge and disappointment. This is a school i once highly recommended that was until your child was not cookie cuter child. My son is excellent academically its all behavioral with him (hes a runner,hitting,cussing, crying,wetting bed)I have had this school request i have him re evaluated to determine if his behavior issues are medical vs behavioral. They have now labeled him a safety threat to other students. I requested iep (april 2017) they ignored until i filed complaint. Welp 1st day of school i was told his iep was completed before summer break (done in 48 to 72 hours). I have had school counselor call dpss on me stating my son wasnt taking medications and he was hearing voices. So needless to say i am not happy nor my son. He very much feels my energy & stress. I have his iep meeting end of month but super nervous as i was told by current teacher she was told to document everything regarding my son. At this point i feel like everything is retaliatory due to me fighting for my son.when school therapist suggested a school that specializes in behavioral issues and warned me about school (ignore how kids look) that wasnt a good sign. I read reviews on school they were horrible. I am looking for a school that can support him emotionally as well as academically. Without structure/academics he will go haywire.i was given this site from my sons therapist as i am completely overwhelmed, alone (as dad doenst support his diagnosis), and I wont give up or discard my son as the school would like me to do. I will fight the world for all my children. But i came here looking for a support group, hopefully to find schools in l.a. that are working, & to to get knowledge. As he has changed within the year from just hyper to now angry. And the school dont undestand i dont have all the answers as this is new to me. So i have this meeting with principal tomorrow to discuss an action plan to keep him from hitting others and running from staff. I DONT HAVE THE ANSWERS!!!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Request a Functional Behavior Analysis (FBA) to create a Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP).

5 School Assessments Your Child May Be Entitled To

If he’s in a public school in the US, and his behaviors are related to a disability, then the school has to support under IDEA (federal law).

Your Free Guide to Education Laws Protecting Students with ADHD

Even further though, is the fact that behavior is communication. When he has a specific behavior (like feeling), what is the REASON for it? This is what the FBA process will explore, document, and create strategies to address.

I strongly recommend the books Lost at School and The Explosive Child, both by Ross Greene. He explains these behaviors and offers solutions.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

deb91
    Participant

Sometimes in dealing with school systems, it helps to have an advocate. Each state and US territory has a Congressional mandate to administer a Protection and Advocacy Office to provide legal representation and advocacy to all people with disabilities. You can find your state’s contact information at this site – http://www.ndrn.org/about/paacap-network.html. I was unable to get accommodations for my son until I contacted my state’s office. You didn’t say whether or not your son has been evaluated for ADHD. If he hasn’t, you could discuss arranging an evaluation through his pediatrician. My son’s pediatrician was the first professional to diagnose him. He was later seen by a psychiatrist for medications. Medication can make a HUGE difference, so definitely discuss with his doctor.

3xpisces
    Participant

Thank you for your response. I was all over the place last night happy to finally have somewhere to share and learn. 1st yes he was diagnosed and is seen by a psych/therapist. He has been on meds since sept and we have gone through 3 currently on 4th. Ritalin to adderal (made him have suicidal thoughts) to risperidone to now bupropion and working on an adjustment. He also does have an advocate who is assisting. As of today the school requesting since he ONLY has a 504 plan and not an IEP he do partial days until we have our meeting for IEP at end of month. Was told by principal if we dont agree to partial days he can not attend school until after IEP meeting. They want to determine if even needs/qualifies for an IEP (her words). She also requesting to know what medication he is taking so they can know side effects. I dont feel its there business as they arent administering medication and they dont help with basics so are you gonna help if he has a reaction? All school year last year i was constantly threatened with them calling access if i didnt pick up my son. Uuughhh there is soo much. BUT I AM LEARNING!.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  3xpisces.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  3xpisces.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.