adhd fatigue

Tagged: ,

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      liasamturn
      Participant

Hey,

Short version: does anyone struggle with complete weekend fatigue after a working week? Not been diagnosed for very long and I’m massively struggling; if you have any tips or advice, please share!?

Long version: 26, diagnosed with adhd 6 months ago.
      I’ve had symptoms since I was about 14, but before this did really well in school (though, now I think about it, hyperfocus, blagging strategies and people pleasing were the reasons rather than ease or absence of symptoms..). Depressive episode at 16 that manifested itself in total fatigue and alcohol abuse that I didn’t recognise at the time. After A-levels I was prescribed an anti-depressant for anxiety/panic attacks, which I’ve been on ever since.

Insomnia also became an issue at university, where I couldn’t focus on work but stayed up for days at a time trying to keep up. Prescribed melatonin to regulate sleep, which I’ve also been on ever since.

Fast forward a few years of part time jobs because I couldn’t get it together and didn’t know what was wrong. Eventually diagnosed with adhd, prescribed lisdexamfetamine, and got a job I could support myself with. The only problem now is that I’m in such a state of hyperfocus during my 12 hour working day that I can’t unwind at all in the week. Was prescribed phenergen for evenings because of this, which has worked, to an extent… But at weekends I am SO exhausted, lethargic and dead to the world that I spend 20+hours a day asleep and just can’t motivate myself to do anything. Even with increased lisdex at the weekend it’s the same; can’t sleep because of heart racing side effects, but can’t motivate myself to do anything because there’s no tangible form of stress to get my teeth into. I just lie around in a depressive haze and I hate it!

Does anyone have similar issues and any advice on what I can do?

Thanks so much 😥

anomalocaris
      Participant

I do. Fatigue is a constant for me. Unfortunately, my solution will not work for most people. First, I’ve given up on having friends, because friends expect you to socialize on the weekend, and social stuff is too exhausting. Secondly, I force myself to get up and move. MY cat helps with that because he doesn’t let me sleep too late. If I let myself give in to the fatigue, I would never move from the sofa — and that tends to lead to depression. So I just force myself to get moving — and once I’m up and outside, I find that my energy level picks up a bit. I’ll start a hike and hate myself for it for the first half mile, but then I’m reluctant to stop.

liasamturn
        Participant

Swap the cat for dogs and I think we might be twins!? Glad it’s not just me, thanks for replying

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by liasamturn.
      andreacooke39
      Participant

OMG, you just described my weekend! I feel so badly that I am so exhausted on the weekends, all I want to do is be alone and sleep. But I can’t because I have 3 kids. Things that help are getting outside and going for a walk, or a hike. That’s pretty much it. The moment I get back into the house, I want to sleep, but can’t, so I binge on sugar instead, and then feel disgusted with myself. It is sad because I want to look forward to the weekends, but the truth is, I don’t. It’s very frustrating. The chores of the house completely overwhelm me, so again, I want to sleep. Thanks for sharing, it is good to know that we are not alone 🙂

liasamturn
        Participant

So glad it’s not just me, thanks so much for replying. You’re right: if it wasn’t for my dog an dependent relatives I would sleep aaaaaaalllll weekend. Hope we find a happier solution soon 💜

P.s. I also do the caffeine and sugar thing too!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by liasamturn.
      anomalocaris
      Participant

Caffeine puts me to sleep… Typical ADD. Sugar’s my drug of choice to wake up, which actually brings up 2 points foe me. I used to get so exhausted at work that I passed out a couple of times. To combat it, I used Energy Gu. 1 packet and it was like standing on a foggy coastline and seeing the fog lift away. Most energy things are caffeine based and therefore sedative for most ADD people. Energy Gu is sugar and b vitamins, so it works. Be careful of the flavor. Most are disgusting. Chocolate and chocolate mint are amazing. Vanilla is palatable.

2nd thing: I stopped needing Energy Gu at work when I started supplementing DHEA. If you’re deficient, it takes about 2 weeks to start to see a change. Day 13 was a life-changer for me. There’s no benefit if you’re not deficient, and if you’re not deficient, there can be side effects, manifesting as the “opposite” hormone — estrogen in guys and testosterone in women. My sister tried it and noticed increased facial hair. I should say, “hairs”. She didn’t grow a beard or anything. She also didn’t notice a huge energy change. So, clearly she was not deficient, so she stopped taking it. I’ve been taking it for years now. The only side effect I have is that my hair is a little more curly (indicating slightly elevated testosterone), but if I drop it only for a week or so, I’m back to the overwhelming exhaustion. Might be worth a try. Worst case, you find out you’re not deficient and just stop taking it. I would ask your doc, though, if you have health issues that might be affected by hormone levels (such as pregnancy or cancer of the breast, uterus or ovaries). I’m not a medical professional. I’m a computer geek who rescues rattlesnakes on the side. Neither qualifies me to give medical advice!

liasamturn
        Participant

Thanks so much – will look into both!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It sounds like a few things could be at play here:

1) You are spending so much energy and focus keeping it together for work, you are just all out by the weekend — spent. 12-hour shifts can be really tough.
      2) Depression is back:

What Does Depression Look Like in Adults?

3) You haven’t found what is truly motivating to you yet, other than sleep and recharging for the coming week (which is ok). The ADHD brain is motivated by interest and urgency, not importance:

Secrets of Your ADHD Brain

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

AnneHW
        Participant

Thank you. Both of these articles are good, and I especially like Secrets of Your ADHD Brain. That is very helpful, and something I could read on a regular basis. Depression is harder. Mine isn’t debilitating by any means. I still manage to get things done, but it’s a lot harder. The discouraging part is when I lose my zest for life! There are so many things that interest me, but then I’ll go through periods when things I normally love are just things. I can’t get any enthusiasm, and they are even a burden in some ways. That even makes me sadder. For instance, I have a wonderful horse. I’ve always loved horses and riding, and I’m so fortunate to have my own place. But I’ll go through periods where I wonder why I have him. I’ll start thinking that life would be easier if I didn’t. I’ll feel the same way about our dogs (and I love them) because I just don’t have the energy to deal with any of them. That makes me feel even worse!!! But, eventually that changes. I get out of my funk and I’m back to enjoying all of them again. I just seem to go through periods where I’m down.

liasamturn
        Participant

Thanks so much for reply and sharing via Facebook (I assume). It’s so relieving to know it’s a common thing. Will look into all of the above and replied…feeling very hyperfocussed this weekend due to job redundancies etc, which supports what you’ve said and what I thought. This forum is so helpful.. Thanks again

fabholley
        Participant

Depression is definitely a possibility.
        It sounds like you’ve been under a lot of stress for a very long time. As such your need for sleep may be due to adrenal fatigue or even a Vitamin D defficiency.
        I’ve also found that when a significant amount of stress is lifted, for whatever reason, my body responds with a need for greater sleep. Why? I think it’s because my body needs to repair itself and sleep in one way of doing that. Since I have a few on-going high stressors I set aside 1 day each week when I allow myself to crash. I stay up the night before as long as I want. I sleep in that morning as long as I want. Then I do whatever I feel like doing after; listening to my body for what it needs. Sometimes I stay in and binge read. Sometimes I get antsy, so I go hike or work in my yard. I do not, under any circumstances, do anything work related. I’ve practiced this for so long, I know when my day of rest hasn’t been restful enough (ie when on vacation or if there’s an event that day I want to attend) and, generally, have to make up that time to feel well again.

AnneHW
      Participant

I also have a problem with fatigue, but mine is different. I’m older and retired, you might say. Usually my weekends are pretty active since my husband still works. I can feel really tired at the beginning of the week, and even depressed. I feel like I’m on a roller coaster, too. Lately I’ve been depressed and lethargic (or the other way around?), but today I had this sudden burst of energy, and I’ve been going strong all day. I’ve been upbeat and active, and really feeling good. But, unfortunately, I know it won’t last and I also don’t know when I’ll start losing my energy again.

I had started taking generic Adderall, and after not taking it for awhile, and after being depressed for a couple of weeks I decided to try it again. That seemed to help. But this past week it has hardly made any difference at all. The frustration is I’m all over the place, and that alone is exhausting. Not only that, I have friends who get so much done all the time. For me, it’s about waiting until I have enough energy and ambition. There are so many days when I’m really dragging myself around, feeling like I could easily lie down and spend hours in bed.

Sorry if I’m not being helpful. But I’m beginning to think this is part of having ADHD/ADD that doesn’t get as much attention.

liasamturn
        Participant

I jus find it so reassuring that other people are saying the same. The crashes are horrible and, you’re right, everything seems to be focussed on managing the ‘up’ parts. Finding this community so helpful;thanks so much!

Simpleoneaz
      Participant

I feel exhausted all the time and I mean exhausted. I take adderall and can fall asleep right after taking it, no problem. The frustration is, I sleep in 15 minute increments. I’ll doze off then wake up in 15 minutes. I feel terrible on a constant basis. Adderall sedates me. I take a cocktail of antidepressants, and see my psychiatrist every 2 months. I’ve been addressing my depression since 1990 and my ADHD for 5 years. I wish I ccould pop out of bed and jump in the shower but I’m late to work every day, but stay late, I have to talk myself into the shower. I’m at a loss. I wish I could add some solution, but I so relate to you.

AnneHW
        Participant

This makes me want to cry. I feel fortunate that things aren’t normally this bad for me, but I sure do get it. I only recently found ADDitude, and had no idea so many people felt exhausted. When I was younger, I would go from feeling like I had a lot of energy to dragging myself around. I had big highs and the lows weren’t all that bad, but definitely noticeable. Now I’m more often tired. Adderall seems to work sometimes better than others. Along with that, I wish I could find a mild antidepressant that would just help me get through. Years ago I took something called Serafem that a doctor recommended to me for PMS. For once I wasn’t depressed and worrying, but it made me very sleepy when I was sitting still. It turned out to be Prozac, but it helped. Then my insurance wouldn’t pay for it unless I got generic, and that did nothing! I really don’t know what to do, and I can’t even get in to see a therapist for at least 3 months. Even then, it’s not always a good match. I’m so sorry you are having a bad time.

liasamturn
        Participant

It’s just so reassuring to know it’s a common problem.I’m also late to work all the time, and late leaving, and late with anything that’s got a time attached to it. Everything is such a damn effort! Thanks so much for your reply

jowilson002
      Participant

I’m 51 work full time and sleep away the overwhelming amount of my weekend every weekend. If i don’t sleep this much during the weekend i don’t feel refreshed and ready for work on Mondays. I never leave my house from 5:30 on Friday until I go to work on Monday. This is probably not very healthy but it works for me. If my adult son insists on us doing something together, I go and I do enjoy myself but most of the time I stay home. I have 2 college degrees and am a professional medical coder and have a good job. I also have Aspergers
      disorder and I need the weekend to literally escape from the world so I can deal with life during the week. When my son was younger I stayed busy with keeping him busy and I tried to make his life as fun as possible. Now that he is 30 and does not need constant attention from me. I do what I want and I don’t apologize for it. I have an ongoing list of things I need to do in a notebook and I just keep adding to it. I make myself do 3 things every day like replace a light bulb or something. Even though I sleep a lot I at least get 3 things done everyday so I feel like I did accomplish something even if it was a small task. Then I sleep when I want and I no longer feel bad for doing it. Sometimes I feel more energetic and do more than 3 things and I feel productive.

liasamturn
        Participant

You seem much more content with how that’s just what happens, which is nice to hear. Common perception revolves so much around how we’re “lazy’ or ‘antisocial’ or ‘not achieving our full potentials’ (I also have 2 degrees but can’t make use of them at the moment due to all of this). Thank you so much for replying – you’ve given me hope!

jowilson002
      Participant

Long story short. I am who i am. I accept my differences and I just run with it. If someone else wants to Judge me they can feel free because their opinion means nothing to me. They don’t upset me in any way. I am the only person I have to answer to and I’m pretty much ok with how I live my life even if my house is pretty messy. Oh my employer is fully aware of all of my diagnosis because I gave them a letter listing them from the doctor. They also know the meds I take. I decided that if they couldn’t accept me like I am then I probably didn’t want to work there anyway.im good at what I do. It’s worked out fine and I even train the other coders.

AnneHW
      Participant

Okay, so just let me update that I’m continuing to feel pretty good. I don’t know why I’ll suddenly be so run down, and then sort of depressed. I was exhausted yesterday, when we were having family over. Before that a friend came over and we worked with our horses, which kind of got my mind off of things. But I was definitely tired all day. Still, I wasn’t depressed, so that made a difference.

I’ve been feeling upbeat for the past several days now, and today I’m feeling good again. Even though I know from experience that it won’t last, I’ll enjoy it while it does. One thing I often wonder about is boredom. I feel sometimes that stimulation helps, and often that means getting together with a friend or having something I’m looking forward to. And I’m also affected by the weather. We’ve had some nice days recently, but mostly it’s been a lot of bad weather in Southern Wisconsin.

liasamturn
        Participant

I’m sorry for you because it’s horrible, but also so relieved to know it’s not just me on the up/down rollercoaster. I’m also affected by urgency, interest and weather (I live in England so it’s grey and rainy a LOT)… I’ll have a crash after any of these. so good to know I’m not alone!

sdr4997
      Participant

I didn’t realize fatigue comes with ADHD. I am fatigued (debilitatingly so) daily, but just always blamed the hypothyroidism, RA, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Fibromyalgia. I guess I can add ADHD to the list of diseases I have that attributes to the fatigue. I have been on disability for 10 years, since my daughter was born. I was 30 when my dr put me out of work permanently, which did a lot of damage to many friendships and helped in the downfall of my marriage, because people saw me going on disability as an “out” for being lazy and not wanting to put the effort into working all day then coming home and being mom. I am thankful my dr saw that I physically could not work and be mom both and he chose to put me out of work so I could focus on being mom. Even with no job, being mom wears me out. I generally lay down when she goes to school and sleep til time for her to come home. Fatigue is a very real condition and most people have no idea how debilitating it can be.

Part of dealing with the fatigue is understanding it is a chronic condition, it is real, and it does not mean you are lazy, antisocial, or unmotivated. It just means your body is telling you something is off and it needs rest. My dr put me on a medicine to help keep me alert the days I can’t sleep like if I am volunteering or substituting at my daughter’s school. I also took phenergan for awhile at night along with periactin, but I found those meds left me really tired and groggy even after 10-12 hours of sleep. Melatonin left me feeling like I was on a bad hangover the next day which didn’t really help with the need to get out of bed and be productive. The only solution I have found for my sleep in improving the length of time I sleep as well as the quality of sleep so that I can feel better has been meditation and sleep guided meditation at night. I took a mind and body class that really benefited me more than any pill or syrup the doc has been able to prescribe. If you haven’t ever tried guided meditation for sleep or for preparing for the day, I would suggest trying it. It feels weird the first week or so, but if you stick with it, you will find it is easier to relax and drift into a more restorative sleep cycle than when you lay down amped up from the work week.

http://www.fragrantheart.com/cms/free-audio-meditations/relaxation/peaceful-sleep is a good site to go to for guided meditation that is free. I prefer the ones with background music, but some people find the music disturbing. I hope you can find some resolution to the amount of fatigue so you can own your weekends again.

liasamturn
        Participant

thanks so much for your reply. Interesting to read about your side effects of melatonin and Phenergan, I’ll definitely look into it. Just so relieving to know it’s not just me being a lazy bum!

Simpleoneaz
      Participant

I’ve enjoyed all the posts here. It works wonders knowing I’m not alone. I’ve, for the most part, accepted my challenges, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. I’ve been on vacation this week and it has been so nice. I’m currently in a work situation which is less than grand. For 5 years I’ve been working for a real bully. She has zero business being in management. She’s doing very unethical behavior regarding the companies $$$. I can’t sit by and not address this, we have different ethics. I’ve had this week and it has allowed me to regroup and step back, without being in the middle of her insanity, to get my priorities straight. Why do I bring this up? I find that when I am living in denial in some area of my life, it absolutely triggers my symptoms. My ADHD goes into hyperfocus, almost obsession, and then my depression and anxiety kicks in. Why wouldn’t I feel exhausted when I’m wearing the world on my shoulders? I’ve started the step work to live in the solution. I have applied for 2 internal positions as I love my company just not my predicament. I’ve updated my resume and I’m putting the word out that I’m available for new opportunities. Then I will address her stealing. I simply can’t live with what I know. So, long story long, I can’t afford living in denial. I must create a life of serenity, as best I can.

AnneHW
        Participant

I’m really enjoying the posts, as well. And I relate to so many things here, including your comments about your job, Teri. I was always in an admin position, and always frustrated! I saw so many things that were questionable, and not only that, I often felt like I had more common sense than the people I worked for. The best thing that happened to me was I was forced into working as a temp. I could work for a company for a limited time, watch all the craziness and not be imprisoned by it. But, I also understand how it is when you like your company, so I hope you are able to move to a different area, and get away from the person who is making you miserable.

I was fortunate to have a couple of really great bosses, and too bad my husband and I moved and I had to quit. I didn’t have a college degree so I was always doing office work, and half the time I felt like I was the maid. To make matters worse, I was smart and needed challenges. I was always looking for more, which didn’t include making copies, getting coffee and setting up meetings. I guess I’m retired now, although I basically just phased out until I was no longer working. I don’t miss it.

liasamturn
        Participant

thanks so much for your reply. Not having a good time at work, either, and have been wondering about whether it’s me. At least we know it’s not just us. Let me know how you get on!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by liasamturn.
      Simpleoneaz
      Participant

Anne, you told my story. I was hired as an analyst under the condition I perform some of the admin duties. I figured, hey, if you want to pay me the money you’re offering, I’ll be happy to. I did attend college and this is one of the last businesses that pays based on level of education. I have a masters degree so they’re paying quite well. But having been an admin my whole life prior to starting college at the age of 40, I too have worked for interesting characters. I hate to say this, but I haven’t had the best experience working for women. And this gal is a trainwreck. She has never liked me and me being codependent, have bent over backwards to get her approval. Something switched in me over a month ago, and I found my voice. Where I was once afraid of her and her abusive ways, I looked her in the eyes and revealed the elephant in the room. I told her we butt heads and I should best move on. She was shocked. Like she didn’t realize I was even awake… heck, maybe I appeared that way. We all have survival mechanisms. She is jeopardizing my position, stealing money and I have to go into our A/P system and approve. I suspected she was embezzling but never had proof. Well, I have proof. I will get out, get into a real analyst position then report her behavior. We have a phone number I can call anonymously, but she’ll know it’s me. I don’t much care. They pay her probably 175,000 a year and she’s robbing them blind. It’s insanity. She’s one of the worst cases of narcissism I’ve ever witnessed. Sorry for the novel. I don’t have anyone to reveal this to so it feels good.

AnneHW
        Participant

I wonder how many jobs I’ve had? I never stayed at any of them for long because of boredom mainly. I think 2 years in one department was about it. I WISH I had gone to college, but I either didn’t have the confidence or didn’t have the money. When I did manage to take some classes (grade school and high school were mostly a disaster), I finally realized I wasn’t stupid!!

I was really good on the computer and was constantly looking for ways I could do more, but because I didn’t have a degree, I was never able to advance into something that interested me. My only route “up” was to be secretary to a president, which has to be (for me) one of the most boring jobs ever!!

Men and women can be equally bad, but I think women can be especially nasty. Two of my favorite bosses were women, however. They made me feel good about myself, didn’t give me crap assignments, and encouraged me to grow. I’ll always be grateful to them.

I’m glad you mentioned “codependent,” because I really had a high need to be liked. Talk about self destructive and setting yourself up. People can take advantage of that, and it always ends up being your fault. I never thought about that until right now. It’s taken most of my life for me to finally understand that not everyone has to like me, and most of the time, those are people I don’t like anyway.

Good luck to you, Teri. I really do feel your pain, but I also see your determination. I’m 65 now, and once I got into my 40s and beyond I started getting better at sticking up for myself. I still got my feelings hurt, and I ran into some pretty mean people on my jobs, but I was also (and still am) very lucky to have a great husband who always supported me. I was able to quit working about 10 plus years ago, but actually liked having a job so I just went to part time. I worked for a truly mentally unbalanced attorney for a short time (put the keys on his desk and walked out), and then a very nice manufacturing business that was fun until I got bored again!! Now my horse and I are learning dressage together and I’ve become a pretty good artist! It’s been an adventure. 😉

liasamturn
        Participant

thanks so much for your replies. Not having a good time at work, either, and have been wondering about whether it’s me. At least we know it’s not just us. Let me know how you get on!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by liasamturn.
      sandman2
      Participant

lisdexamfetamine is a great medication, but it sounds like you might be overdosed. Try cutting back a bit on the dosage (with your doctor’s permission) and see what happens. Also if you can get out and exercise after works, you will find benefits from that!

liasamturn
        Participant

Ooo! Had wondered about being on too much..don’t remember being like it with 30mg, but been too busy trying to stop being upped further to 70mg because of racing heart etc. Will have an experiment and talk to doctor.

I couldn’t cope at all without a dog run after work.. Exercise is a must!

Thanks so much for reply, so helpful to hear opinions.

sandman2
        Participant

Ya, 30 to 70 is a huge jump! It should last for around 12 to maybe 14 hours. More would be a sign of an overdose.

AnneHW
      Participant

That’s interesting. My doctor prescribed 10 mg of Adderall twice a day, which was way too much, so I split the pill. But a lot of times that isn’t enough. It’s made me wonder if there’s something else. And, even worse, getting in to see a psychiatrist takes forever, so I ended up working with an internist who has left and now I’m seeing her PA!!!

sandman2
        Participant

The problem with instant release is that it hits you all at once, while an XR give a smaller instant release and the trickles out the rest. As a result, it tends to be smoother. Vyvanse due to the way it is metabolized is even smoother. The same amount in an Adderall XR will last twice as long and Will have less effects then the 10. You can also get it in a 5mg XR.

AnneHW
        Participant

Thank you sandman2. I’m seeing my doctor soon, so maybe that’s what I need to do.

Simpleoneaz
      Participant

I take 60 mg Adderall daily, 20 mg 3 times a day. I have moments I’d love to wean off with doctor supervision, and take an Adderall vacation. I can take my medicine and easily go to sleep. It sedates me terribly.

sandman2
        Participant

You don’t have to “Wean” off stimulant meds like you would with say anxiety meds. They are out of your system pretty much by the end of the day. Adderall IR should last 4 to 6 hours per dose. Talk with your doc. If the med is working for you, you are getting 12 to 18 hours of coverage which is a lot. You can very easily have a smaller dose at the last one. Heck, you can stop completely or just take one. The only effect will be that you will go back to normal ADHD behavior on the off time.

Simpleoneaz
      Participant

Not accurate information. You don’t just stop an amphetamine drug. You will go through serious withdrawals. You don’t cold turkey quit suddenly Adderall. It’s a living hell. I’ve run out before and it was awful. I learned the hard way. My psychiatrist was not real happy with me. You definitely need to wean on the majority of controlled substances.

AnneHW
        Participant

Really? I’ve done it without any problem. I do know you don’t want to stop an antidepressant too quickly.

Boudica
      Participant

I have a high stress professional/executive c-suite level job which zaps me – for years I didn’t want to do anything on the weekend or evenings, and I would stay home doing nothing but sleeping or watching tv– but eventually – this got boring and old! I was single and but decided to reach out to find and develop a relationship and found this step very helpful to forcing me to be more active. At the same time, if I say “I need a break” he understands. I found that doing something on the weekends that is relaxing actually alleviates fatigue – for example, my fiance and I go boating on the weekends. I exercise regularly during the week to fight against the stress and fatigue. I’ve also learned to actually take regular vacations several times a year. I realize this is a luxury but I can’t emphasis enough how much difference it makes to my peace of mind. Also, I keep the same sleep schedule during the weekend as I have during the week with naps on the weekends (30-60-90 min). I take adderall every day but dose varies depending on stress level – in my experience, the more stress or sensory overload, the quicker I burn through the adderall – but when just chilling on weekend, I typically need less. I fight anxiety more than depression and with age and experience I’ve learned to identify what matters and what doesn’t. I get caught up in the weeds sometimes but I ask people around me to help me be aware and help pull me out – everyone from my boss (whom I’ve known for 15 years) to my mother to my fiance. I ask them to “help me” get out of it – I am not embarrassed of my ADHD – I own it, it doesn’t own me. You cannot be an island. I am 43, now, and was diagnosed as an adult at age 26. You will be ok – my advice is to learn to listen to and trust yourself and evaluate which coping mechanisms work for you – no one tool works for everyone.

AnneHW
      Participant

Maybe this isn’t helpful, but I’ve now been taking my 7.5 ml Adderall (generic) for a week and a half, and it seems to be the right dose. And, it seems to be helping a lot. My husband is very serious about getting to bed the same time every night and usually getting up at the same time. I probably would not have a great schedule if it wasn’t for him. He will just decide he’s going to sleep, turn out the lights and that’s it. It takes me awhile to settle down, so I might read or even watch a TV show. My backup is always my iPod so I can listen to a podcast when I wake up and my mind wants to start thinking about things!

For whatever reason, this new dose seems to be working well for me. I’m sleeping most of the night, and having an easier time waking up. I can be a bit tired in the morning, but once I take my meds (around 8:30) that seems to help.

Simpleoneaz
      Participant

I live with chronic fatigue. I take 1 day a week and do nothing. I need to rest and not think about work or any stressors. I’m so tired all the time. It really is a bummer. I have to be careful not to compare my weekend activities with coworkers. Having my one day for rest is super important to me. I believe I need to change my diet. I eat way too much sugar. It’s so challenging giving it up, but I know I would feel better.

jackie1234
      Participant

What an interesting thread this is. I can relate to a lot of it. Here are my thoughts. I believe we get so fatigued when we slow down, for a few reasons. Working at such an intense pace all week as Lisa described, gives you an intense adrenaline rush all week, but once given the opportunity to relax, you sort of collapse. Is there any way to cut back on the intensity during the week? I also think that people with ADD require more recovery/down time than other people. I agree too that medications can play a role. I know that so many medications make me more tired than other people, including into the next morning, and from reading this thread, this seems to be common. Finally, I think that when we have unstructured time, especially after a highly structured work week, that it’s too hard to rouse ourselves, without set deadlines and activities imposed on us. How and what we eat, and exercise definitely play a role too, as mentioned. I will definitely feel drowsy if I have too much starch and sugar, and if I haven’t been exercising.

I also love that we are all so ethical and how much it pains us to be around people who aren’t. Have any of you ever taken the Myers-Briggs assessment? It seems to me that most people with ADD fit the ENFP profile. It describes being ethical, always late, scattered, very sociable, a people pleaser, along with so many other ADD traits.

fabholley
      Participant

I’m an INFJ. I too would like to see if there’s a Myers-Briggs trend.

sdr4997
      Participant

I’m an INFP (occasionally I have gotten INFJ as a result, but more often have gotten INFP). I agree the description includes a lot of the personality traits that match up to many people that have ADHD.

jackie1234
      Participant

I believe it’s the NF that captures the ADD traits in Myers Briggs.

Marianbookwarm
      Participant

I deal with this on some level too. For me it’s more in the form of I can successfully focus on one thing a day. From there, it’s iffy to non-existent. Not the best thing when you’re working and in school. I have found for some crazy reason my focus is best if I can actually get myself up and moving around 2 or 3am. The problem is actually getting up and moving, still haven’t found a solution to that one. Before I was started on adderall, I was on lexapro for anxiety, I found that it was actually making my ADHD symptoms worse. Apparently my anxiety is a self medicating thing, you take that away, I can’t focus. So, got off the lexapro and got a cat and found a wonderful man who takes me as I am. Between the two, I’ve been able to fight off the anxiety, well keep at functioning levels anyway. I think part of the problem is getting into this hyper focus mode, and once I’m out of it there is no focus. I think I’ve learned how to hyper focus on things I don’t even enjoy (two hours sustained focus on math homework, I hate math, I’ve always hated math, I’m not even a math major, it used to be 30 minutes was my max). I haven’t really found a solution, though I have found doing yoga every other day does help me feel more energized. But I still regularly end up taking at least one lazy day a week, whether I really have the time too or not. I think it’s just part of the ADHD and the amount of effort it takes to focus, even on meds. At a certain point our bodies just say nope, I’m done, let me scatter, and there’s nothing we can do. It sucks, but it’s part of the wonders of the ADHD mind.

olderwisermaybe
      Participant

Seventy-two hour work weeks will do that to a person whether they have ADHD or not. A tough goal for anyone with ADHD is moderation, but it’s worth persuing and might just save your life. You’re not a superhero or possess magical powers, so don’t act like 72-hour work weeks don’t take a toll on the mind and body. Patience, grasshopper.

dineyt
      Participant

I won’t go into my life story as it is so much like others here. Thank you for sharing every word,comma, dotted I because I needed to read these! Here is my deal and I’m going to use all CAPS simply to catch attention to a doctor who could help-
      OK,WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO NOW? WHAT FORM OF “THERAPY”IS OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP US LIVE UP TO OUR GOD GIVEN POTENTIAL????? WE NEED, OR LONG TO FEEL SOMEWHAT NORMAL!!! I have always said,closest I have seen NORMAL is a setting on a dryer. I JUST PRAY AND HOPE SOME DOCTOR,SCIENTIST,ETC… COMES ACROSS THIS THREAD AND HAS THE ANSWERS TO OUR LIFELONG PROBLEMS!! We have the equation already …
      I hope I haven’t offended one soul on here. I literally feel your pain. I’m so tired of existing. So so tired of not knowing what the magic potion is and longing for it! Thank you all!

evanb1
      Participant

I can tell you from personal experience that it likely won’t go away. I was diagnosed almost 17 years ago and have had sleep problems forever. What I have found works for me is go hard as you can every day. If your in school listen as hard and focus as hard as you can. Do as much stuff as you can get done in a day. If you like video games in the evening like I do buy a pair of Gunnar glasses that filter out blue light. That will help immensly with falling asleep, especially if you game from 6pm to 11 or 12pm every night like I do. If you wear yourself out and wear those blue light filter glasses when on the computer or tv at night it may make a world of difference for you. It did for me. Even after a 5 hour gaming session after work I can usually lay down and go straight to sleep now. I still have problems but they are sporadic now instead of every night for weeks straight. Good luck.

JeannieA
      Participant

I’m so glad to hear I’m not alone . I have been so embarrassed for so long until now . Thank you all for being here . I am so fortunate to have found this page tonight, on another night of 6 hrs struggling to get out the door to work .. Jeannie

Viewing 28 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.