ADHD diagnosis

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      BLuebella
      Participant

I’ve gathered enough information over the years to think i have ADHD (very convinced). Before I continue, I hope i dont offend anyone as I know there are a lot of people who say these things to be “relatable” or for attention. My parents agree (mother more reluctant to “accept” this as a possibility),but I know diagnosis in adulthood is difficult. Im 21 years old, soon to be 22. I have no idea how to navigate my concerns with the doctor so that they don’t think I’m simply being a hypochondriac. My situation has become relatively worse than it has ever been, especially my memory, so I’m worried I’ll forget important information/symptoms to mention to the doctor. If anyone would have any advice on how to prepare for my appointment, I’d be very grateful. Id just like to get this sorted. Thanks.

Dr. Eric
      Participant

Why are you worried about being labeled a hypochondriac?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Here’s some guidance on how to go about getting an evaluation.

I Think I Have ADHD: Adult Symptom & Diagnosis Guide

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

KawiMumOf2
      Participant

I have a 7yr old son with textbook combined ADHD & ODD. My 8yr old daughter was diagnosed with the same by our pediatrician in June, then last week UNdiagnosed by the child psychiatrist even though Sam seems to have textbook symptoms of ODD. My kids have lead me to alot of reading and thinking that I may have it as well (and I’m quite sure my hubby does as well given all I’ve heard of his childhood & what I’ve lived with for 17yrs). My memory sucks BAD (always has), I’m a daydreamer (always have been), I’m a scatterbrain, always misplacing or losing things. My hubby or 16yr old tells me things to my face and I forget in seconds – I’m accused of not listening. I was always a good student, no issues. Shy, kind of withdrawn with only a few friends. I can get easily distracted. My poor memory and “careless” mistakes sometimes affect my job making me feel worthless and bad. My boss never scolds or belittles – just makes me aware to learn from my mistakes. My anxiety was so bad at my last job that my memory basically shut down and I ended up just quitting (in fairness it was a high stress position). I’m 45 and kind of afraid to ask my Dr. Like you, I don’t want her to think I’m a hypocondriac just because my kid(s) have ADHD. Maybe I just have too much on my plate with working FT, taking care of my family, and everyday stresses (finances, etc). However, the above mentioned has been ongoing for many, many years.
      To you I’d suggest making a list of questions and symptoms to discuss with your Dr.
      Does anyone have any advice for me? Lol. I feel like the older I get the worse things get. Emotional irregulation is an issue alot as well; especially dealing with the kids(s) ODD which is very frustrating and exhausting.
      Thanks for letting me ramble and go all over the map. Lol ✌️

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.