ADHD and Exercise

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  anomalocaris 4 days, 19 hours ago.

• Author

wegaphantom
    Participant

We are a team that mediates adhd in Korea.

In recent years, the adhd population in Korea has surged and we have many centers.

so We are currently developing an adhd exercise program based on neuroscience

However, on the other hand, we want to create an exercise program that will help children in their daily lives.

What kind of exercises do you think are appropriate?

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  wegaphantom.

steffweikel
    Participant

Actually as me being an adult with ADHD from my own personal experience physical exercise such as jumping jacks, push ups, an crunches even biking riding I works better when you exercise as a group and not alone it keeps you movivated,helps a great deal physically and emotionally. Especially in the morning because that is the hardest part of the day to get focused and energized it helps with taking away that morning fog we with ADHD suffer with .I have never tried yoga as I think I would get bored easily with that.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  steffweikel.

wegaphantom
      Participant

thank you steffweikel, Your advice will be greatly helpful in the development of the program.

fatdog11
    Participant

My kids are 12 and 15 and do not like repetitive exercises, but they enjoy active group sports that have a goal, like fencing, basketball, baseball, etc. (even if they are not good at them). The extremely difficult thing for my kids, though, is that most group sports are competitive, and ADHD people already have low self-esteem and often don’t deal with frustration and strong emotion very well. Losing can feel awful in a social setting.

If I were in your position, I’d develop a sports program based on a very active sport (like basketball, where all players are usually “doing something”) — and not keep score. Kids will still feel good scoring, and they will all know who the higher scorers are, but there won’t be the crushing win/lose aspect or the “you disappointed the whole team” possibility. Take a sport that’s active and make it just for fun, not competitive.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  fatdog11.

wegaphantom
    Participant

it’s impressive opinion, fatdog11

We already recognize the importance of non-competition. But thank you for reminding us once again.

and We want children to use what they get through the program right into their daily lives.

anomalocaris
    Participant

I hate repetitive exercise. My solution is to use walking, hiking and more recently using a Trikke because I’m going somewhere and attending to the changing environment around me, so I don’t get bored. Also, when using gym exercises Ill get bored or tired and stop. If I’m out on my Trikke or a hike, well… tough luck if I’m bored or tired! Sitting down and giving up isn’t an option, because I still have to get home! I suspect the same principles would apply to kids.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.