ADHD and CELIAC?!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed last year with ADHD and a few years back with hypothyroidism and celiac..

I went through approximately 6mths of HELL trialing the typical Dexies and Ritalin instant releases varieties in Australia. And hadn’t realized that they used gluten containing ingredients as fillers! Eventually I settled on Concerta which eliminated the issue and have now moved to USA and am overwhelmed with the different ways things work here, let alone the amount of different varieties to choose from.. but the one thing that will turn my world upside-down is the gluten if its in the medications..
    Is there a list of Methylphenidate meds that are GF?

ryoto
    Participant

Very few FDA oral meds contain gluten and if they do must state so on the box.
    Best to find the meds you think will work then check if they have gluten.

Also if your doc is aware of your coeliac they shouldn’t be prescribing you things with gluten.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

A pharmacist will be able to tell you the ingredients of a medication before starting it.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.