ADHD and anxiety medication

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child ADHD and anxiety medication

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  adrianwillson 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Vince82
    Participant

My son is 9 and was diagnosed with severe ADHD 3 years ago. We tried stimulants and they didn’t work. He is now on Intuniv and it has been helping. He also has some tendencies to pick at his hair creating a bald spot or picking at his skin. He will become very anxious and resort to picking one of these things. He also wants to quit any activity he is involved with when he gets anxious. He becomes very anxious about school and when doing homework as well.

We take him for neurofeedback once a week. The therapist stated from the beginning that his anxiety has to be treated before they can progress on his attention. Basically a year and a half and his anxiety is only a little bit better.the neurofeedback does help with allowing him to calm down faster.

His doctor wants to add a small dosage of Zoloft to help is anxiety. She thinks it will show improvements with his ADHD by curbing this anxiety symptoms. Has anyone had any luck with combining anxiety meds with ADHD meds?

jlynn37
    Participant

My son is 9 diagnosed ADHD w/ anxiety/depression. Adding in an anxiety med with his ADHD meds has absolutely helped him! Prozac was the first one we tried and it worked very well for his anxiety, but it interacted with his ADHD med negatively so we are now on Sertraline (Zoloft). One thing that happened with my son once we were on the anxiety meds is that his ADHD symptoms seemed to increase. That just told us that his ADHD isn’t being managed best by what he is on now. So, it was a good thing so we can address that part of it.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Many people take ADHD medication and another med for anxiety and/or depression. Very common.

When Your Child Needs More Than One Medication

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

mitzimainer
    Participant

Hello,

I have been through Neurofeedback twice, once when I was diagnosed with ADHD and recently for severe depression from post menopause.

This last time I was given a device to rent called an Alpha-STIM which is specifically for anxiety, depression and/or insomnia. I noticed a difference after my first 60 minute session. I was allowed to rent it weekly and then bought my own device. I use it 4-5 days a week for 60 minutes at a time because it just makes me feel good. It sends very low impulses to the brain which increases Alpha Waves in the brain (the calming waves).

For me it is about occasional depression/insomnia, but I imagine it would be excellent for anxiety.

I would inquire to the place you get neurofeedback and ask about it. I would recommend this as you already do
    neurofeedback for your son.

I love my instant feel good device 😊

Mitzi

adrianwillson
    Participant

Yes, often. People with ADHD are prone to anxiety and treating that anxiety with appropriate medication is certainly helpful. ADHD is very stressful and difficult to manage, and it is no wonder that so many people with ADHD develop anxiety disorders.

It won’t take away the symptoms of ADHD, though. What it can do is make the ADHD more manageable.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.