ADHD and allergies/asthma

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Health & Nutrition ADHD and allergies/asthma

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MollieNeuman 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

toomanytabs
    Participant

I have pretty severe environmental allergies, to all the usual suspects (pollen, dust, mold and dander) and October is always my worst month, because ragweed overlaps with mold from fallen/decaying leaves. But this year it’s horrible – I don’t think I’ve ever been so itchy or sneezed so much on my life and it is endless! I am also mildly asthmatic, although it’s been worse lately because my allergies are so bad. To top it off, I am so completely scattered – I lose my phone, my keys, my glasses, I’m even less punctual than usual,
    and I can’t remember a thing.
    Does anyone else find that allergies and/or asthma tend to make their ADHD symptoms worse? Could it be a side effect of the meds(I take Flonase and Reactine for allergies, Ventolin and now Flovent for my asthma)?
    Thanks!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

I think everything is interconnected in our health. Dr. Charles Parker talks about how allergies can affect ADHD medication efficacy here:

Is Burn Rate Making Your ADHD Medications Less Effective?

And there has been discussion for quite some time about how symptoms of allergies can look like ADHD symptoms.

Kenneth Bock links them together in his book, Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

MollieNeuman
    Participant

Agree with the above post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.