Adding additional Medication. Thoughts?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Adding additional Medication. Thoughts?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Adamsfamily1117
      Participant

Hello. I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 12. I regularly took Adderall up until I turned 19, when I got pregnant with my first child. I never took it again until I was about 25. I am now a mom of 5, 3 of my own (2 of which are ADHD and one with ASD). I at first started taking Adderall Instant release and got up to 40mg a day but it wasn’t lasting as long as I needed it to. Then my face started breaking out to the point I couldnt stop picking at my face. So then we switched Vyvanse which I am currently on. We are up to 60mg and I dont want to go any higher but it is wearing off about 4ish (I take it between 6am-8am) and I needed it to last longer. She said she could add a short term acting medication for the afternoon. I am guessing she means adding a small dose of Adderall at the end of the day.

I guess my question is, is it common to take two different meds to keep them working as long as you need them to?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It does happen for some. There could be a different medication that would last better for you. A lot of it is trial and error.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Redtigger0104
      Participant

If I remember right here they can only prescribe one a day of vyvance. I hated it and my dr did that to me… higher and higher doses. At first it was ok but didn’t take long for all the nasty side effects to kick in. I had issues with my face breaking out, it is now scarred. Is this only true of vyvance? Only took adderall a few times and never remember it being that way. I felt like total crap every day esp when it wore off. So many NASTY side effects. Have u had your vitamins levels tested? I ended up with an extreme vitamin d deficiency and now have major dental problems. Why does it have to be like this? I’ve been called a drug addict meth head and I was taking it as prescribed…. based on my appearance from the side effects… I had BEAUTIFUL face skin and pores. Not now. I stopped taking it. Scared to take any other. I did try the non stimulants but they did not work a day all and only sent me to the hospital with major blood pressure issues.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. It sounds like you’ve only tried amphetamines. Many people say amphetamines can feel stronger, so you may do better on a methylphenidate. Learn more here:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

meshapeterson88
      Participant

I can tell my tolerance goes up when I’m not eating clean healthy meals with lots of water. So I would focus on your diet and speeding up your metabolism.

rebell90
      Participant

I was prescribed two doses of vyvanse bc it hardly lasted at all. I switched to that from focalin, hoping it would last almost as long as it claimed. It was WORSE. Apparently, bc of the way it’s absorbed (GI tract) is why it lasts long for many…but there is a small percentage of people like myself who have the opposite problem: I literally got 4 hours at best. I am now on adderral XR 30 plus adderral jsbtang 20 after/..and it’s working great!!!! The adderral absorbers way better than vyvanse for me. Testing has shown I metabolism ultra ultra fat, so I still only get 9 hours total from Thai combo, but in between doses I run 5-7 miles and do vinyasa yoga. This replaces my meds for 2 hours..: so I get basically 6 hours form xr, 2 from exercise, and 2-3 from fast
      The reason why they have so many kinda of the same chemical is due to various absorbptikn types and rates, bc all people are different ya know? Not to mention phenotype metabolism!!!!! Whne I broke my arm basically in half from climbing a tree at 5 years old (looked like u had a second elbow lol) I had to wait in Er bc someone was also having a Herat attack and was First priority, as he should have be n!!! In the meantime they gave me pain meds, bc again broken in half. By the time the doc came in to set my arm in place (which is very painful hence the pain meds) I was awake and alert and they couldn’t give me more bc of my age, I went they it so fast. I’ve had 7 surges from all my freak accidents, and even my one last year I was told I had to be given way way more anesthesia than my weight said I should have. I say this bc yes metabolism is HuGE, and not docs don’t think to test this: they just assume you “want more pills” but science has proven that’s not the case with me !!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.