Adderrall+exercise&diet?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Health & Nutrition Adderrall+exercise&diet?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sikecarton 5 days, 5 hours ago.

• Author

greenshellybean
    Participant

I’m 23, I was on Adhd meds pretty steadily from when I was diagnosed in the 7th grade, until I graduated in 2013. At that point, because I didn’t go to college right away, I stopped taking my meds. I had been on Stretera(sp?) and then Vyvanse, and now I’m on Adderral. I have also been a pescetarian for roughly 8 years now, and I’m horrible at meal planning/cooking actual meals for myself and not just eating frozen things, so my diet is already not quiet ideal. Add onto that the fact that I do not have a car so I bike ~13 miles a day, 4 days a week, to school and back, and the fact that Adderral is an appitite suppresant, and all that gives me is the posibility of malnutrition. The mood drop on days when I dont take my meds, coupled with my normal depression, makes it extremely hard for me to actually make myself eat correctly and it’s getting dangerous at this point, in my opinion. But I sincerely don’t know what to do. I could really use some advice, and my psychiatrist wasn’t much help when I talked to him about this. Thank you in advance for any advoce you can give

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

If you’re not eating enough or the right things, try adding supplements. The exercise is fantastic for managing ADHD symptoms.

9 Foods to Supercharge Your Brain

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

sikecarton
    Participant

I have this problem too, to an extent. I have a couple of strategies I use, maybe they’ll help you.

1. Find flavors you know you like, so even if you don’t feel like eating you know you can stomach them. For me, I tend to feel kind of nauseous when my appetite is suppressed, so having simple stuff like bananas, apples, Larabars, or popcorn on hand help a lot. Just stuff you can grab and eat quickly that’s still somewhat nutritious.

2. Frozen meals can be okay, in my experience! As long as you check the ingredients and do some research you can get nutritious pre-made meals, though some are a bit expensive. Healthy Choice is a favorite of mine, especially their Simply Steamers because they use mostly whole foods without many additives.

3. Canned soups are a godsend, though I try to stick to low-sodium options. You can pack a ton of veggies into one meal and basically force it down if you’re having trouble eating. I like Amy’s Kitchen, but their stuff is on the expensive side; Campbell’s Well Yes is also really good, though I’m not sure on price. Frozen soup that you can heat up is also good and doesn’t have the metallic taste some canned soups have.

4. Setting an alarm to remind yourself to eat can help, maybe one every two hours so you can eat something small? That’s something I did a couple years ago when I was having malnutrition/eating issues and it helped a lot. I’d also recommend pre-stocking your bag(s) with non-perishable stuff like peanuts/trail mix so you can have something even if you forget to pack lunch or whatever.

I know this is long (and maybe a little tangential), but I really relate to your issue so I wanted to offer my tips. I hope it helps! I’d also recommend talking to a doctor/nutritionist if you’re really concerned.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 4 hours ago by  sikecarton.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.