Adderall XR and caffeine sensitivity

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Adderall XR and caffeine sensitivity

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      mia_green_eyes
      Participant

Hi, I am newly diagnosed and doctor prescribed Adderall XR 10 mg. I was thinking that I have never been able to tolerate the caffeine in coffee (at all) or dark chocloate in any large amount (milk chocolate is fine). Coffee especially makes my heart race, I get a hot flash and feel panicky. I was wondering if any of you have experienced that and whether you have been able to tolerate Adderall XR ? I was thinking they are both stimulants ?

Alli
      Participant

Hello!
      I am newly diagnosed too! Before I started taking adderall I always felt anxious after drinking coffee, but it did help my focus a bit so I kept drinking it. For me stimulants have the opposite effect and are very calming and allow me to focus long enough to finish tasks. One thing to know: be careful when consuming caffeine while you are on them – I find coffee makes me feel awful mixed with adderall, but green tea has a positive energy-boosting effect. Also the first week or so of taking the meds might be a rollercoaster while your body adjusts!

Skypark962
      Participant

I struggle with this right now–so glad I found this post.
      I didn’t become a coffee drinker until around 23….now I do feel a bit dependent on it. I had been taking my meds after coffee–but that didn’t feel the best. I’m 33 & don’t suffer from high blood pressure, but occasionally when I’m stressin to be somewhere & then they check it–it’s been on the cusp & I feel it.
      SO NOW, I take my meds 1st thing upon waking & wait an hr to have coffee–I have an espresso maker, so STRAIGHT TO THE DOME. It’s ok–but acid decreases the effectiveness of adderall—even thought I wait an hr—that might not be long enough. I’m going to try today not to have any coffee & see if it’s also making me jolt in the morning—then be tired in the afternoon & making the adderall less effective. For those will slow guts in the morning–stimulants wake your stomach up all the same as coffee–this amazed me.

Skypark962
      Participant

Yeeeeeah, going without coffee was awful–I need to dial it back to two shots–but.must.have.coffee.

mia_green_eyes
      Participant

Thanks for the replies. Thanks Alli for saying you did not find the Adderall was the same as coffee. I have not yet filled the Adderall prescription as my son’s graduation is Thurs evening. But mostly, I remembered re coffee, that I once dared to drink about a quarter of a cup full (the most I ever tried) and had such a severe case … of my heart racing and feeling suddenly flushed … that I never tried again. That is what made me think of it when prescribed Adderall that it too is a stimulant. I think I may try dividing up the crystals in the capsule to (if I can) take like 2.5 mg the first day … then increase it… if that is possible.

mia_green_eyes
      Participant

Well, I got it and tried it today finally … the Adderall XR 10 mg.. at 9:30 am. It is now 6 pm and I can tell it is wearing off/down. I was so relieved no problems with my heart going weird and it made me less anxious. It made me not ruminate/worry/overthink (not sure if that is my OCD or ADHD that makes me do that). I also felt like I was “here” and was not escaping into the digital world or my head. I noticed many things in my apartment I was unaware of lol. I actually felt happy and wanted to do housework ! Just was doing what was in front of me. But I also could not prioritize or analyze or figure anything out when I needed to. What was I supposed to be doing today? Who cares lol. I felt like a happy zombie in “la la” land (great for breezing through OCD triggers and not feeling scared of them). I did not feel that I could manage to get groceries (not referring to driving…I mean the store). I did not feel I could manage to go anywhere and succeed (except I could have happily went to bed lol). I am thinking that halfway in between ” today’s brain” and my “normal” brain … might work … 5 mg instead of 10 ? Or maybe this wasn not typical? It was kinda like being drunk or something. Not energizing either …
      Any thoughts ? I am not taking it tomorrow … maybe Wed or Thurs try again …

Sario528
        Participant

First and foremost, you should always take your meds as prescribed. If your doctor says to take them everyday, you should take them everyday. There will be some trial and error as you and your doctor adjust your dosage to find what works best, but that process will be sabotaged if you don’t follow your doctor’s instructions.

Also, it’s important to remember that many of your old “coping mechanisms” may become counter-productive now that you are medicated. As you adjust to being medicated, try to be aware of how your current habits and routines may need to be adjusted to help you get the most out of your day.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.