Adderall Issues

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      wombatzombie
      Participant

Hey all. I’ve been diagnosed since I was 7, but unmedicated until I was 20. I was on Adderall for six years. It made me irritable but was amazing at controlling my symptoms. I went off it cold turkey for financial reasons. I gained like 40 pounds in 6 months. It was terrible. The withdrawal was horrible. I stayed off medication for 4 years.

So I start seeing a new doctor who diagnoses me with depression as well. She gives me 300 mg of Wellbutrin and says it should help with ADD too. I never felt any help with my ADD symptoms. I’m on Wellbutrin for a year.

That doctor retires and I’m transferred to her partner. This new doctor says yeah you need ADD medicine. Because of my last experience I say I don’t want adderall. She gives me Focalin. I see a slight improvement but nothing like when I was adderall. Next time I go in I relay this info. She says we know adderall works so let’s do that. I agree because I really don’t want to play the merry go round game of trying meds. 20mg. 10 in the am, 10 after lunch. IR. (This is less than I was taking before)

Sorry I know this is long, I’m almost to my point I swear. I am now on month 3 of taking adderall again. The first month and a half was amazing. I got so much done, felt good, felt normal. But slowly over the past month i don’t feel like that anymore. It honestly feels like depression because I don’t want to do anything, I’m tired, and I’m irritable. But I take an antidepressant (I’m still on Wellbutrin 300 mg). The meds are working, I just can’t force myself to actually do the things I need to do. (Sounds like depression right?) example: my house is a disgusting mess. I haven’t cleaned in weeks. Last night I said when I wake up I’m going to take my meds and clean up. No excuses. When I woke up I started playing a video game while I waited on my dogs and guess what I ended up doing all day? Played video games. So now I’ve wasted a whole day, I feel guilty AND I still have a disgusting house.

My question is, is the problem the adderall, the Wellbutrin, or just me?

(Also possibly relevant: I’m a teacher and the school year started right about the time the meds started to feel less effective. I wonder if maybe it’s just stress making me feel this way)

shannonh1231
      Participant

I go through this everyday, as well. I’ve tried lists, schedules, everything. I quickly fall off of any schedule or routine, lose track of time completely, and never get anything done. I’m on Adderall XR 30 twice a day. I feel like I can’t motivate or focus myself towards the right things.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It absolutely can be stress! Could also be that you’re not on the right medication or dosage yet. There are so many nuances to getting ADHD medication optimized for each individual.

Wellbutrin has some stimulant qualities, which is why it helps some people with ADHD. If you weren’t taking Wellbutrin with Adderall before, it could be too stimulating taking both together. You may need less of the Adderall now, or the combo may just not be right for you.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

nuwati
      Participant

I have taken adderall for years. I found that it killed my sex drive, and wellbutrin made me want to kill myself. I have quit taking all of it. I run daily and I am cleaning up my diet. I also had surgery to treat my sleep apnea, I am hoping that will help with my depression and anxiety. I lived my life ashamed with my flaws. I am tired of that. I want to live my life proud of who I am.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.