Adderall Instant Release Dose

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Adderall Instant Release Dose

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      EllaSmith033
      Participant

Hello! I am 18 an year old girl and have been diagnosed with ADD rather late in life (at 17). I was prescribed 15 milligrams of Adderall Instant release once in the morning each day. The medication would last me all day long and literally turned my life around.I was able to do get through my math homework without feeling a welt of frustraition in my throat, and for the first time in my life, excel in a math class. I was motivated to study for my ACT and to go out and be social. I was able to be motivated to manage my time, eat a healthy diet (I used to binge eat with I experienced frustraightion and stress from my ADHD), and to even go out and get a job.
      About a year after being the medication, it started wearing off around 3 and I was told to begin taking 2 15mg pills a day instead of 1. I never experienced many side effects from adderall except for a dry mouth and sometimes some mild insomnia. I I have been doing that for about 2 months and nknow my second pill is wearing off too early in the day. My mom is concerning about me taking a medication every day and about upping my dosage yet again. She thinks I should pursue more natural methods and to taper my dosage off and use it again with the start of school.

I am not addicted to the drug. I never take higher than my prescribed dose, but I am dependent on it to an extent which scares me. My life is so busy now, I can’t imagine getting through everything they way I was before without my ADD treatment.

Long story short, I am concerned about dosage for this medication. I am beginning college soon and I live a lifestyle where I have to be on and alert all day long. I do not want to take extended release becuae of the highly negotiate effect it had on my brother (who has ADHD) and becuae I do like the ability to take less medicine if I have a slower day.

I am concerned about raising my medication again and being on too high of a dose. I am really worried that I have reached the highest dose that can be prescribed. I’m really scared of my medicine stopping to work and being stuck where I was two years ago not being able to focus or be motivated at all, as I am beginning college.

Sorry for such a long rant. I guess I am just wondering what you guys take of this medication and what your opinion on my situation is.

bobkahoover
      Participant

Hi! So, first, I am not a doctor or an expert by any means! So, I absolutely recommend contacting your doctor to ask them your questions. Be sure to explain what needs you have and your concerns. If you do not feel confident that your doctor will understand or be helpful, then you can always talk with a different doctor, nurse or psychologist. You can also try to talk to your pharmacist about the dosage, they should be able to at least tell you what dosage is the “max” and what is too much, they may even be able to give you recommendations on some other types of medication that you could ask your doctor about possibly trying instead.
      With that all said, I can tell you my own experience and knowledge. I was diagnosed a little less than a year ago at the age of 37. My doctor has prescribed Adderall instant release, 20 mg, 2x a day. I myself, had wondered about the maximum dosage and upon researching online I found varying opinions, but all in all, I do not think that even mine is quite at the maximum. Also, remember that you aren’t your brother. Which means that just because he had some issues with a certain medicine doesn’t necessarily mean that you will react the same way. Although, it is good to take it into consideration and to be cautious until you know for sure that you will or will not react in the same way. Lastly, I understand and agree to an extent about being on a daily medication forever and do think that there are some more “natural” things that can be done to help with symptoms and provide relief and/or strategies to help you stay focused and clear headed to continue to be productive and manage your busy schedule and commitments. But, please do remember that it is sometimes necessary to take some medication and that it is not bad or shameful. I mean, if you had diabetes and needed insulin to survive, you’d take it every day and probably wouldn’t think much about it even though there are also some natural things that you can do to help with the disease, right? So why should ADHD medicine be any different if it helps? Also, I have discovered that the absolutely best thing that we can do for ourselves is to 1. Learn about ourselves And 2. Cut ourselves a little slack once in a while when we know that we really have been trying but still continue to struggle (oh, and remember that no one else knows you like you know yourself, don’t let people who pass judgements about you and/or your abilities to get to you because until they actually walk in your shoes and deal with your personal struggles, they will not understand and they have absolutely no right to judge you or anyone else…the chances are that they have several things that they need to work on and improve in their own lives because no one is perfect and has it all together (no matter how much it might seem like it from the outside sometimes).
      I hope that you are able to find exactly what works for you (and don’t be too concerned if you have to change it or tweak it every once in a while as you grow as a person and your responsibilities and experiences change over time). Good luck in college!! Remember to study hard, but also make time for friends and fun (safe and responsible fun, lol 😉) and get involved in the clubs, sports and/or activities while you are in school. This time in your life is going to help shape you into who you become and provide you with invaluable experiences and memories that you will treasure forever. 🙂

EllaSmith033
        Participant

Thanks so much for your reply! It helped a lot. 🙂 You are right. I meet with my doctor in a couple of days. My psychologist (who specializes in ADD and gifted adolescents) has helped me find a doctor that is supportive and understands my needs.

Getting my ADD under control certainly has made the idea of college much less daunting then it was to me before. 🙂

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It’s possible that, while Adderall has helped some, that you’d respond better to a different medicine. The two types of ADHD stimulants are amphetamines (Adderall, Vyvanse…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta…). Most individuals do well with one type or the other, but not both.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Definitely discuss your concerns with your doctor and make a decision on how to proceed with your doctor’s guidance.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.