Adderall increases sex drive which distracts me from studying from studying

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Adderall increases sex drive which distracts me from studying from studying

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      algebraicgeomet
      Participant

Hello everyone,
      kinda self explanatory. I’m currently on ~18 mg Adderall, taken twice a day. The focusing effects are present but there’s a big handicap; it increases my sex drive massively. I’m a 20 year old guy so you can probably guess what happens for the five hours during which the adderall is present (don’t judge please) (I masturbate). This has been a really big problem the past week and the previous semester; huge amounts of time are wasted when I really needed to be studying.

Do you guys have any advice on how to deal with this? I’m at a loss. Are there any vitamins/supplements that could help, etc.?

Thanks!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It sounds like it’s time for a change in medication. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. If your ADHD is well controlled on Adderall except for this troublesome side effect, then trying another amphetamine-based stimulant might be best. Or, it could be that the amphetamines cause this side effect for you and you’d do better on a methylphenidate.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Talk with your prescribing doctor.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Dr. Eric
      Participant

Similar experience with stimulants, but with a 6 times difference in productivity for myself when I medicate… I think your option may be dealing with this one distraction than trying to address multiple problems.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.