Adderall XR reviews please! Is it Safe? Good/ Bad?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Adderall XR reviews please! Is it Safe? Good/ Bad?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ddt1981
      Participant

Our pediatrician is switching my 9 yo son from concerta 27mg to Adderall XR per our pediatrician. Our son has inattentive ADHD. He is undergoing psych testing and he may have a processing delay with the inattentive adhd. He needs more help with focus then what the concerta provides, the concerta seems like its not helping much at all. Vyvanse worked great for him but he was allergic to it, pediatrician said Adderall XR is the closest match to vyvanse. has anyone had good/ bad results with it? Is Adderall XR SAFE? I read some conflicting information online about heart problems and increased heart rate, and one article reported 12 kid deaths related to Adderall?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by ddt1981.
      kennabug
      Participant

Adderall poses a high risk for addiction and is chemically very similar to methamphetamine unfortunately. I know that not everyone has these resources but if you are able to, consider therapy or counseling to help understand attention issues and build healthy habits for them. Even if you continue medicine, it will be helpful to gauge overtime how well they are working in a private, confidential setting between your child and a therapist. Adderall has lots of side effects and like many ADHD medications, can lead to many issues in the future physically and mentally. Your commitment to finding a solution for him speaks the world and he is very lucky to have you!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.So what your doctor is advising makes sense. Learn more about the different medication options here:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.