ADD……….Which one??!! Confused

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond ADD……….Which one??!! Confused

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      katie_o
      Participant

So I’m new here and suspect I have ADD. Have a dr appointment Thursday and hoping I’ll be referred for assessment. I stumbled across this site and find it so very helpful. This morning though I came across an article about the different types of ADD and the best treatments for them. I’m already anxious about treatment and it possibly having a detrimental effect on my already chaotic life. I found that I had symptoms in most of the types and I’m wondering how on earth I can be treated correctly. So just to give you an example, one type suggests a higher intake of protein and the other suggests a low amount. I don’t just fit into one type so now what? Anyone else find themselves in a situation like this?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are 3 possible ADHD diagnoses: ADHD-Primarily Inattentive, ADHD – Primarily Hyperactive-Impulsive, and ADHD Combined Type. Sounds like you fit the combined type.

What Are the 3 Types of ADHD?

Medication is the same for all types of ADHD. There’s lots of researching supporting the efficacy of medication for ADHD. There’s very little supporting specific dietary recommendations, if any. I believe the protein recommendations you reference as anecdotal. (I can’t find the article you’re referring to.)

Typically, nutrition advice for ADHD looks at what promotes brain health and focus and supports neurotransmitters in general, which would apply to all types of ADHD.

Change Your Diet, Find Your Focus

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.