ADD and College

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents ADD and College

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      dshroyer2001
      Participant

My daughter was diagnosed with ADD (depression and anxiety) at the age of 21. She has always worked during school. I am starting to think this is not a good idea and it is added stress. What are others thoughts on this topic? Does she need to learn to balance school and work or is this a unreasonable exception. Would love some feed back from others in this same situation.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

My daughter is in her sophomore year of college. She doesn’t have an ADHD diagnosis but does have anxiety and struggles with planning/organization. Our intention all along was for her to work — financially we desperately need her to work. But, the load they are required to keep up with in college is much more rigorous and time-consuming than when I was in college. She literally doesn’t have the spare time. She gets super stressed and anxious just thinking about the possibility of adding a job.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

strwbry
      Participant

Working at a nice restaurant might work. She could only work Fridays and Saturdays and still make a pretty good living without taking any work home. Balancing school and work can be very difficult, but if she can work with a therapist to help with time management, it may be doable.

I too was diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, and depression at 21! It’s such an empowering realization. It takes some time, but things do get better from here! 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.