ADD/ADHD and amphetamines. Theory for discussion

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults ADD/ADHD and amphetamines. Theory for discussion

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Fluttermind 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Tefloncon
    Participant

I was diagnosed with ADHD in primary school, was put on medication immediately, first ritalin and then dexamphetamine. Later in life I’ve struggled with addiction and to me they feel too similar for comfort. I did some research and there are some facts about adhd meds that came to light troubled me;

One was the dexamphetamine I was prescribed as a 10 year old is literally one molecule from being methamphetamine (stopped taking it at 16 when I became aware), firstly I’m against adhd medication being prescribed to children. When it was first mentioned as a medical condition in 1902, sir George Still described it as an “abnormal defect in the moral control of children”. That doesn’t sit well as I don’t agree that kids should be scrutinized for their lack of a moral compass until they’re at least a teenager, in my opinion they are still in the process of learning right from wrong. They’re just being kids.

Secondly, amphetamines were first synthesized in 1887 – 5 years before the first case of ADHD was diagnosed. It’s my belief that we are going through a meth cycle, and instead of amphetamine being the answer to treat symptoms, it may be the cause of ADD/ADHD. The medication being prescribed simply filling a need in our brain for more amphetamine, allowing us to briefly refocus on life and everyday tasks to feel “normal” again – until the effect wears off and we need more.

I only know of one person that agrees ADHD sufferers are essentially crack babies – Kendrick Lamar on his track ‘ADHD’. The only way I see us getting out of this cycle is to cease the use of amphetamine as a treatment and retrain ourselves and our minds naturally, so the next generation can have a chance to get us out of the cycle.

Fluttermind
    Participant

A few things to consider:

– You know methamphetamine can be legally and legitimately prescribed for ADHD, right? Trade name is Desoxyn. Also, keep in mind that therapudic doses of meth and other amphetamines are a tiny fraction of what meth/speed heads use to get messed up.

– Descriptions of what we now call ADHD first showed up in medical literature in the late 18th century. And then through the 19th and early 20th century, you see the “moral control” terminology a bunch because they weren’t sure what the deal was with these kids who were of normal intelligence but had all these problems coping, so it was perceived as a deficit of “moral” control (everything was about morals back then). The idea of “moral control” is very antiquated – we now know that ADHD is an issue with executive functioning caused by dopamine imbalance, and not an issue with moral fortitude/needing to learn right from wrong.

– Amphetamines are not the cause of ADHD. ADHD is strongly hereditary. It’s basically an alternate brain wiring that causes the dopamine circuitry in your brain to not work right and not give your brain enough dopamine, causing the ADHD symptoms/behaviors. The reason stimulants like methylphenidate and amphetamines work so well for ADHD is that they restore those dopamine levels to what they would be in a normal person.

– Of course you take the stimulants to feel normal and get stuff done for a while – that’s the point! As I explained above, they literally make you normal for a time because they fix your brain’s busted reward circuitry (which was definitely not busted by amphetamines). And they wear off quickly because stimulants have a short half-life.

– So this “cycle” of which you speak… do you mean to say that I have ADHD because my parents must have done speed? That’s a bit presumptuous and insulting. Also, a hereditary brain defect is not something you can bootstrap your way out of by just naturally retraining your mind or whatnot. That’s like trying to fix your nearsightedness by learning how to squint better instead of just getting some glasses.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.