Accommodations for forgetfulness

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Working with Teachers Accommodations for forgetfulness

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I need advice on how to get/ask for help with my sons forgetfulness, not paying attention to due dates, etc. What I want is extra time after a zero is posted (and therefore the first I know of it) so he can turn it in for full credit. Say an extra week or 2 class periods. It doesn’t help to keep on top of him because he thinks he’s turned it in, or assumes it. Often it’s found in his backpack, or he wasn’t aware of it. Some teachers oblige, but I can’t get it into his 504. His forgetfulness/not paying attention, (or caring maybe) are the only thing he needs help with. He does take medication and it helps but not with this. Am I expecting help with something I shouldn’t?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Forgetfulness is part of executive functioning deficits, which is VERY common with ADHD. Planning and organization are part of that too. So this is due to his diagnosed disability, not related to motivation or not caring.

Extended time and extra reminders are common IEP accommodations. I don’t see any reason why they can’t be part of his 504 plan. You may have to call a 504 review meeting and really push and stand your ground.

My son has always struggled with this as well. Some things we’ve done to help:

— All work is completed digitally on iPad (with apple pencil) or on computer. Then it’s turned in by emailing to the teacher immediately when finished (or placing in a shared google drive folder with teacher).
      –Take a picture of completed work and turn in by emailing to teacher or placing in a shared google drive folder with teacher.

If your child can’t manage paper, look to go digital. The work world is primarily digital so there’s no reason our kids can’t learn those strategies and tools earlier.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.