AAny advice for one who seems unable to hold a job due to ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond AAny advice for one who seems unable to hold a job due to ADHD?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Moem
      Participant

I find myself not being able to hold down a job due my inability to not being able to pay attention to detail, (making silly mistakes on my excel reports), not being able to maintain focus for more than 30 mins at a time during training (ie attention span), and also taking too long to get work done due to difficulty maintaining focus.

Also are there any recommended techniques/exercises for fixing ones attention to detail. I am already familiar with the pomodoro technique.

Adam Stathi
      Participant

I am sorry you experience this, you are not alone, I c I hahavnt worked in over 15 years when I have found a job I’m lucky to last a month. I have probably been given starts at 30 different jobs and haven’t kept one since I was 25 now 39 I was working for b5 years because my mother got me the job and the bosses were to scared of her to sack me but they were never happy with my work. I have given up completely to be honest so hopefully with my feedback someone will answer us to help us live our lives???. Anyone? Please help I can’t get meds because dr’s won’t give them to me because of drug abuse.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It could be that you’re not doing the right “type” of job for your ADHD brain. There are jobs that require less executive functioning or are in an area that you are passionate about, which helps your brain kick in and focus.

How to Align Your Career with Your Passions

Finding a Career That Works For You

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Sarensi
      Participant

I can sympathise as I have had a similar problem. i suffer from status anxiety and low self esteem as a result. It’s important that we realise that it’s not our fault primarily but also work towards building lives and careers to suit our brain function. Easier said than done I know, I groan inside when I read through a job spec these days. I often think that recruiters can smell adhd on an application.

katie_o
      Participant

Hey there! First of all let me say that your self awareness is amazing. I had all the struggles you mention but was never able to actually articulate it or even work out what my exact struggles were. For me it was just an “I don’t like this job” often followed by a strong desire not to go back. It wasn’t until I became a mum that I was able to stick to a job for a number of years. I had a child to feed and to set an example to. The job really sucked and I often had ‘sick days’ but I grew to love some of my team and this helped me a lot. Later on the company folded whilst I was on maternity leave and I took a few years out of work to care for my kids and during that time I rediscovered my love for photography and I was brave enough to try it out as a small business. 11 years later I’m still doing the job of my dreams and it’s probably the only thing I’m any good at. It doesn’t feel like work. Not gonna lie I do struggle with some elements of it, the editing and admin and I need to change my pricing so I can afford some help with that. Anyways the point I’m trying to get to is that there is a job out there for you but you might be like me and really need to zone in on your passions and work out if there is a job you can realistically do in any of those areas.

HopelessDiamond
      Participant

So…we’re saying that being self employed or finding the right niche is the answer? Lol

I feel ya there. Just lost a job after 5 solid and good years. My heart goes out to you. I think those of us who are not “neuro-typical” might have to be okay with taking untraditional routes to success…cheers

leftie22
      Participant

I’m always surprised when I see self-employment as a suggestion for people with ADHD. Self-employment takes a lot of time management, admin and detail work if you’re going to make any money (unless your business is so successful that you can hire out the logistics stuff, and even then, you then have an employee to manage). I’m a non-ADHD woman with a husband with ADHD, and whenever he’s self-employed, life is very chaotic.

I think the key is to try to find a job that doesn’t have super tight deadlines or tedious, detail-heavy work. I’ve found that the non-profit world is often more open to people with diverse skills and abilities. The money isn’t as good, but sometimes the work environment and flexibility more than make up for that, especially if it means that you keep the job and don’t end up unemployed. Good luck!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.