A Family Thing and discouraged

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults A Family Thing and discouraged

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      MHibbert
      Participant

I knew my husband had ADD when we married. I was diagnosed with ADD inattentive, a few years into our marriage. We had a child who was recently diagnosed with ADHD and a few years ago we adopted 2 boys, both of who have ADHD. I have never been great at keeping a structured lifestyle, we have always been considered the “laid back” family. I don’t want my children going through life with the struggles I have faced for not reaching personal and professional goals. I am frustrated because a parents we can’t seem to provide the structure my children need to be successful. My house is in total chaos. I am ashamed to have family and friends over to the house. I used to be able to manage fine, but recently I just feel overwhelmed and don’t accomplish anything.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Is it possible that you are depressed? Life is extra hard right now with the pandemic and the lack of control we have over it can cause a lot of anxiety and/or depression.

I think you also have to stop worrying about what others will think — which I know is super hard. Doing what you feel is best for your family is what matters most.

Like Mother, Like Child: When ADHD Is a Family Affair

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.