A Big Move – Needing Advice

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done A Big Move – Needing Advice

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

kesl
    Participant

Hello all, thank you for reading this! I hope I can get some advice and guidance, but I’m really just needing support. This June I am moving from the East Coast to Colorado. A bit of background: I’ve been in a long distance relationship, the healthiest relationship I’ve ever had (thank you, therapy), and am moving in with him after over a year together. I’m in my 30s; diagnosed as a teen; love-hate relationship with ADHD, therapy, and meds since my diagnosis; the past seven years I’ve been committed to my treatment and have experienced incredible growth and clarity (with all the ups and downs along the way!).

While I have all of the normal worries that go along with a big move, I’m also struggling with the particular worries of a person in treatment. How can I find a good therapist to replace my current amazing one? And a psychiatrist? And will I have to experience a break in my medication amidst everything? My therapist and psychiatrist have been helpful and I have a list of people to contact. I’m doing the thing where I procrastinate, mostly out of fear, and I know that being aware of this is the first important step to pushing through it. This is hard, though. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know. I’d be grateful for any advice and guidance. And thank you again for reading this!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

It sounds like you have a great plan in place. Just remember that there will be a period of adjustment and that’s likely many months. Work on establishing with treatment providers first, since that’s a top priority, then work on other transitional things as you’re able.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.