7 year old daughter newly diagnosed. I'm overwhelmed and need help.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents 7 year old daughter newly diagnosed. I'm overwhelmed and need help.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 3 days, 17 hours ago.

• Author

aeroangel515
    Participant

My beautiful 7 year old daughter has been diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD. She’s been struggling with school since kindergarten. On top of this, she has an IEP for expressive/receptive language delay (she’s been in speech since kindergarten). I feel so overwhelmed. I feel like I don’t know how to help her. She hates school and I understand the reason behind that… every day is a struggle to get her to school, lately she’s been trying to leave the school campus because school is “too hard”. The school denied her for any extra tutoring help because she doesn’t have a “disability”. She does do better with school work when she’s one on one… but gets lost easily in the classroom. We haven’t tried medication because I want that as a last resort. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

WeCanDoThis
    Participant

What accomodations was she given in her IEP to help with her ADHD symptoms? Getting a good IEP in order would be a good start. My daughter hated school too, we pulled her after a miserable year in K, before we even had a diagnosis or imagined that would be on our radar. We’ve been homeschooling for 1st and now 2nd. It’s HARD but at least I know she’s safe and happy and learning. I’m not sure tutoring would help your daughter especially if it’s after school because by that time, she is just done and needs to be home. Instead I’d find fun engaging things she can do at home to reinforce her learning, for example my daughter loves the website Prodigy for math.

aeroangel515
      Participant

So far, nothing has changed with her IEP. The school said because this has come up at the end of the year, they won’t make any modifications or even evaluate her for anything extra until the next school year begins. Right now she gets Speech for Expressive/Receptive delay, 20 minutes twice a week and she has come a long way. I was hoping to get her approved for in school tutoring, but she was denied. She’s incredibly intelligent and working with her one on one is much easier, still takes a lot of reminding for her to do her homework or reading, but she does do it. The classroom setting is the problem. She doesn’t hear much of what the teacher is saying, then gets lost easily. Her teacher has been wonderful, but one teacher for 22 children isn’t enough. She does what she can. My husband and I both work so homeschooling really isn’t an option for us… I was looking into private or charter schools but I hear there could be issues there as well. I’m just stuck. Thank you for your response and encouragement.

Angelacawein
    Participant

First of all, I feel for both of you. It is heart breaking when you have a child that hates school. My daughter, she is 8 years old was diagnosed at the end of the school year last year. She had been struggling since kindergarten and hated school. I had a heck of a time getting her to school. She didn’t want to go, said she was sick, cried, had melt downs, ect… I have a lot of experience with ADHD children, both types and I knew she had it. She started taking Adderall right before the last grading period last year. She brought her grades from almost failing to making the A-B honor roll. Her second grade year, she has made the honor roll all year. All A’s and 1 B. She went from hating school to wanting to go to school even on the weekends. She is upset that there is a summer break. Go figure. Not sure how things will be with her this summer but plan on keeping her busy. I do understand not wanting to give medication to a young child, I felt the same way. I am not a doctor but just from what you have said, I really feel she would do so much better with medication. It would be a small dose, like 5 mg and see if things improve. You can always quit taking it but worth a try.

aeroangel515
      Participant

Thank you for your response! So nice to hear I’m not alone! I’ve been seriously looking into medication. I feel like if she’s struggling to pick up the basics, how am I (or the school) going to get things through to her? She gives up before she even tries and nine times out of ten she can do the work or reading I’ve asked her to do (with reluctance of course). She’s doesn’t know or understand her potential and that hurts. Thank you again for your responsešŸ˜Š

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

There’s a lot to think about once your child is diagnosed with ADHD, but you can’t tackle it all at once. Treatment should be your first focus, then moving to adjusting your parenting and working on improving behavior and other challenges.

The Ultimate ADHD Road Map for Parents

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

aeroangel515
      Participant

Thank you for the article you posted! I need to contact her pediatrician and get her involved as well. I honestly never thought of that. Hopefully she has some ideas or information on medications for us. Makes me so sad seeing my daughter struggle. Thank you again.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

As far as the school goes, it sounds like you need some help getting the services your daughter deserves (and that are her right under the law). I would recommend that you find an educational advocate. They know the law well, and schools usually take them a lot more seriously than they take parents (sadly).

With gratitude,
    Penny

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.