5HTP – day or night?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD 5HTP – day or night?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      nvalefreedom
      Participant

For those taking 5HTP to treat their symptoms (e.g. Dr Amen’s Type 3 / Overfocused ADD category), do you take it in the day or night? I take it in the day with L-tyrosine currently. However, sometimes I find it overwhelms the L-tyrosine and makes me sleepy. I can’t find a smaller dose. I was thinking of taking 5-HTP at night, but was worried that the effect won’t carry through into the day. When do you take yours?

P.S. Just for clarity, L-tyrosine on its own doesn’t work – just makes me super obsessive and negative!

Andrea@adhdprimed
      Participant

This advice comes from a doctor who wrote a book that I have on my shelf:

5HTP can be taken day or night. 50mg in the morning and 50-100mg at bedtime raises serotonin levels.
      It’s a good sleep aid when taken at night, one hour before bedtime. If daytime use makes you drowsy, take the entire dose (50-200mg) at bedtime. If it’s too activating, try L-typtophan instead.

Try taking it at night and see what it does to you. Report back, because I’m curious!

nvalefreedom
        Participant

Thanks for your helpful reply, Andrea! 🙂

Your advice was spot-on. I found taking 5HTP at night works fine – it carries through in the day without making me sleepy like at night. But I think this is probably because I’ve been taking it (whether in the day or night) for months now, building up a good consistent dosage. When I first started taking 5HTP, it only worked immediately and not for longer than that.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by nvalefreedom.
Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.