504 Plan High School Accomodations

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Eric 4 months ago.

• Author

mum2quinn
    Participant

I am looking for resources related to 504 plan accommodations typically offered in high school. For reference, I have a 14 year old, highly gifted daughter with ADHD, anxiety, and executive functioning deficits. She has struggled in 8th grade this year as she lacks the motivation to complete homework-especially if she considers it “busy work.” She is currently in honors classes and receiving support in a learning center, but only because I pushed for more support. The school psychologist recommended pulling my daughter from honors classes instead. As if that was going to solve the “busy work” problem!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Here’s a great list of potential accommodations for high school students:

50 High School Accommodations for Every ADHD Challenge

I challenge you to not think of your daughter’s struggles to complete school work as a “lack of motivation.” Kids want to do well, and they do well if they can. Executive functioning deficits often look like a lack of motivation. But the ADHD brain is motivated differently:

Secrets of Your ADHD Brain

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Dr. Eric
    Participant

The Social Emotional Needs of the Gifted website is also pretty useful.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.