5 1/2 year old symptoms

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Robynmv
      Participant

Has anyone had a doctor to prescribe adhd non stimulant drugs to a child under 6? My daughter has be hyper since before a toddler. Shes has problems sleeping and staying a sleep. She still wakes up a couple of times thru out the night. She requires a 1ml melatonin before bed. She just cant shut down or stop moving without it. When doing homework she twist and gets up and down. She wears me out just watching her concentrate. I can tell her to get stink and she says I cant. Her teachers have voiced their concerns about her struggling to focus. Her dr says he doesn’t think she has ADHD or add. But he only sees her for maybe 10 mins. Shes not still when he exams her. He just says shes being a normal 5 year old. I think sometimes parents just know when something isn’t right. Lately she is starting to chew holes in her shirt sleeve. I’ve read this is another symptom of adhd. Is this true? When should I start at getting her the help that she might need. I don’t want her on a stimulant. Non-stimulant is a better choice I would think. Any info will be appreciated.

Getittogethergirl
      Participant

This sounds a lot like my 5 year old daughter. She chews on everything and even got a bald spot from pulling/chewing her hair. She cannot settle to sleep and can stay wide awake even past midnight. My son has ADHD and so do I, so I would not be surprised if she ends up having it too, but she is also starkly different from my son in a lot of ways. For instance, she isn’t forgetful and can follow instructions well. She also keeps eye contact and, while she’s messy, she knows how to organize and can entertain herself for a while with one activity. She is extremely wiggly and is always chewing on little toys or her clothes or hair and at one point was too afraid to be in a room by herself (even the bathroom!) She is afraid at night but doesn’t even settle when we lay down with her. She told me she can’t turn her brain off and has repeating thoughts (ruminating).

Her doctor diagnosed her with generalized anxiety disorder and sensory-seeking behaviors and described how she uses chewing and wiggling to relieve anxiety and calm herself. She also tics sometimes by clearing her throat obsessively but that comes and goes. She is currently on a low dose of Prozac, which has helped. We just went up on the dosage because it hasn’t helped everything yet and bedtime is still a struggle. The doctor also wants me to find her a therapist.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Getittogethergirl
      Participant

Also, my son tried stimulant meds for the first time at age 6 but had really bad “rebound” symptoms when it wore off so we stopped and are just experimenting again with what works now that he’s eight. My doctor said that kids who experience this “rebound” usually grow out of it and it’s common for youngsters to have this problem. By “rebound” I mean he would have extreme mood swings when the meds wore off (yelling, crying, agitation). This was with adderall xr.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.