4th grader — starting work

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Learning Challenges 4th grader — starting work

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

dragoncita
    Participant

My 4th grader is often in trouble for not getting started on his work in class by himself. From what I understand though, this is an executive function issue, and basically he needs someone to help him get started. He attends a private school in Mexico, no IEP or 504. How can I convince his teachers that this is something he is unlikely to improve with at this point, and that they need to help him get started or ask a buddy to help him get started, etc.? Thanks!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

I don’t know how you convince someone who isn’t open to what you have to say. All you can do is try to educate them on executive functioning deficits and the fact that task initiation is difficult for his brain without some help.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.