4th grader leaving agenda in backpack.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning 504 Plans, IEPs & Accommodations 4th grader leaving agenda in backpack.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dragoncita 6 days, 19 hours ago.

• Author

dragoncita
    Participant

My 4th grader with ADHD just got a referral for leaving his agenda in his backpack three times. They keep their backpacks outside the door. Can anyone point me to some good articles about what accommodations teachers should be using for this? I’m feeling very furious and want to send them some suggestions so they can stop using worst practices. Thanks!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

That burns me up! This is clearly part of executive functioning deficits, which is part of ADHD. You could put a note on his desk that says, “Do you have your agenda? Go get it!” That could work for him, or he could not really notice or process it. (Wouldn’t work for my son.) The teacher needs to remind him when needed and not punish him when he forgets, since it’s clearly part of his disorder.

What Is Executive Function Disorder?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

dragoncita
    Participant

I am completely blown away. I wrote the teacher a polite email with helpful links, and she actually wrote back to me and agreed and thanked me! I never, never thought it would happen. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

Yay! Celebrating with you! πŸ˜€

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

dragoncita
    Participant

Thank you!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.