3 year old issues at daycare

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline 3 year old issues at daycare

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

jhasselt
    Participant

Hello,
    I’m wondering if there is any research or advice on dealing with potential ADHD in a child as young as 3 years old. My DS4 began at a new daycare the in September. Since then, I have received multiple calls from daycare regarding his behavior. Things like “he won’t listen, he has left the building, he is throwing all the papers on the floor, he has ripped books.” When the teacher gives him a timeout he either laughs or runs away. We have noticed this out of control behavior at home, but we have been able to manage. We have been down this road before, since our oldest has ADHD/ODD, just formerly diagnosed at age 8 and taking Intuniv. Daycare has asked me to pursue additional help. They have stated that they are not giving up, but they need help finding something that will work. My husband and I have come to terms that eventually we will be getting an ADHD diagnosis for DS4, but we are not quite ready for medication, etc. Is it even possible to know at 3 and a half that he has ADHD, and if so, what next steps should we take? Side note: we’ve noticed other issues, such as tags being bothersome, needing the Velcro on his shoes in a certain spot, no volume control to his voice, and regression in potty training. To me, this all points to ADHD. So, what next?? Please help this tired Momma!!!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Hi Tired Momma!

The diagnostic guidelines for ADHD were changed in 2015 to lower the age of possible diagnosis to 4. It is certainly possible to see it early in kids who have more severe ADHD.

Could Your Preschooler Have ADHD? How to Investigate

That said, the behavior you describe could signal other things — on their own without ADHD, or in addition to ADHD. Anxiety, autism, and SPD call crossed my mind as I read your post. That being the case, a more thorough evaluation should be done, not just looking for ADHD.

The best thing you can do right now is to consult a psychologist or psychiatrist and discuss what’s happening and next steps. They may advise evaluation now, or they may suggest counseling and behavior modification now and waiting until he’s 4 for evaluation. The earlier intervention begins, the better the long-term outcome though, so keep that in mind.

4 Bad Reasons to Delay an ADHD Evaluation

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.