3 weeks into Medikinet treatment

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD 3 weeks into Medikinet treatment

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      welshtheologian
      Participant

Hi all!

I was diagnosed with ADHD a few weeks ago and was prescribed medikinet. The psychiatrist is allowing me to gradually increase the dosage myself to see where I feel the most benefit. He suggested taking it twice a day although a lot of what he said I didn’t really understand as we did it in German and I seem to understand more than I do and was a bit overwhelmed at the time.

I have felt it has helped hugely with many of the symptoms I wanted to get rid of but I am not sure if I have become more sensitive to rejection because of it. At night time in particular when the last dose is leaving my system I feel quite down. After a few weeks of it I thought I’d get used to it a bit more. I am thinking perhaps I could add a half third dose in the evening to reduce the ‘crash’ a bit. I’ll speak to the doctor when I see him in a few weeks. Does anybody have any advice of whether this is normal? I am living in Germany so I am not sure what options are available.

I was wondering if anybody knows much about ‘rejection sensitivity dysphoria’. I really struggle with this to the extend that in the past I was wrongly diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. Does Medikinet/Ritalin make this worse? It seems to have made mine worse and I’m not sure if it’s worth the side effects if this is what I am left with. There is no point being less fidgety and being able to concentrate better if that just leaves me feeling numb. It could be that it is just the external circumstances at the moment have taken a slight chance unfortunately whilst I am trying out a new medication but the incertainty is worrying me.

If anyone has any suggestions, I’d be really happy to hear them.

Thank you!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.It’s possible that methylphenidates aren’t right for you.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Definitely talk with your doctor and see what changes are recommended to help you combat this.

As for rejection sensitive dysphoria, Dr. Dodson outlines a couple possible treatment options here:

Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria and ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.