20mg methylphenidate vs 20mg amphetamine salts?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child 20mg methylphenidate vs 20mg amphetamine salts?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

FailureToThrive
    Participant

My 11 year old and sixteen year have been diagnosed with ADHD. At our second appointment after he read our ADHD questionnaire and we had a discussion about Adderall. When we picked up our prescriptions it was Ritalin. We called the physician’s office and he said it would be fine and come back in a month.

Yesterday during our follow up visit I asked him about our prior visit and how we discussed Adderall but was prescribed Ritalin. He told me they were the same thing but just different brand names. I told him the 20mg of Ritalin was losing its effect before 12:00PM and he wrote a new prescription for 20mg Adderall XR which I have not filled yet.

Is this safe? It doesn’t appear, dose for dose that Ritalin and Adderall are equal. I guess I have lost confidence in our pediatrician.

jlynn37
    Participant

Hello! It is so frustrating keeping up with all the different medications. I would suggest, especially since you are just starting out, to find a good child psychiatrist to help with the medications. Pediatricians can really only understand and prescribe so much, as it is not their speciality. We love our pediatrician but she even told us to find a child psych after the first couple of medications didn’t work. Good luck to you all.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Methylphenidates and amphetamines are two different types of stimulants — they are much more different than just the brand. Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.

The best practices when prescribing stimulants is to start with the lowest dose and increase only if and when needed. The lowest dose of Adderall XR is 10 mg, so that is what your children should have been prescribed.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

You definitely need to find a new clinician to work with your children on ADHD medications.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.