Reply To: Highly considering seeing a doctor…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Highly considering seeing a doctor… Reply To: Highly considering seeing a doctor…

elle8454
Participant

Andrea,

When I was younger and going through issues with school I didn’t really try anything to help because I didn’t realize that I needed to. I didn’t know much about adhd and I thought it was just me being careless.

Since I have started to recognize the symptoms getting worse I did a lot of research to see how I could manage it. At one point I cut out any and all caffeine, I changed my work schedule from 6am to 3pm to 9am to 6pm and since I did that, I thought it would help the excessive sleepy ness getting an extra couple hours of sleep at night but even when I was working 6-3 I was still getting a lot of sleep, but when I would get to work I just wasn’t ready mentally to start working until 8 or 9 am. I would tell myself @you HAVE to get started on your work when you get in” but that wasn’t enough. I just mentally could not get going. Now that my schedule has changed I can start working right when I get in, but I still feel exhausted and like I need naps during the day. I started supplementing with B12 and multi vitamins, drinking more water, and I started putting in headphones at my desk to try to combat the extremely distracting background noise (I work in a call center environment so there’s always background noise) but my company recently stopped allowing headphones so I can’t use that method anymore.

I could go on and on about other little things I’ve tried but nothing works. Today, I am struggling SO bad with getting distracted by loud excessive laughing and other people talking, singing, etc. it’s making me very irritable. I had to step away from the office otherwise I felt like I was going to lose it. I started crying it was so bad and I see people around me working normally like those noises don’t even bother them. I’ve talked to management about it and have begged them to allow me the use of headphones but unless I have a doctors note saying it’s medically necessary they will not allow it. Day by day I become more and more discouraged and now I’m at a point where I’m legitimately mad that I can’t control this on my own. It’s so frustrating. I just need help. 🙁