Reply To: Plant based Omega 3??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Plant based Omega 3?? Reply To: Plant based Omega 3??

Andrea@adhdprimed
Participant

I often forget to take mine too! It’s one of the reasons I prefer pills over liquid: Liquid needs to be kept in the fridge, which means that my supplements are kept in more than one place. If they’re all together (on the counter or in a cupboard) I’m more likely to take them. (One would think that taking the pills would trigger a reminder to go to the fridge, but that doesn’t happen.)

While you could take those supplements, I’d recommend also taking fish oil. The important Omega3 are EPA and DHA. Fish oils are the only concentrated source of these two. The body can synthesize EPA and DHA from ALA (a short chain fatty acid), but only a tiny bit of ALA gets converted to EPA (articles I’ve read have varied reporting in how much is converted, from 5%-less than 1%), and less than 0.5% of ALA is converted to DHA.

For brain health, a high amount of DHA is recommended. I find it a challenge to find a supplement high in DHA. So many are high in EPA but don’t have much DHA. I was at a health food trade show last weekend and one of my goals was to find the perfect omega-3 supplement. I asked representatives of each product what makes theirs unique & superior, and discovered products from two companies that I intend to watch. One of the products comes from seals and contains DPA, which can boost absorption of DHA and EPA.

To my first comment about liquid vs. pills: Some say that liquid is more easily absorbed and used, but I figure that it’s better to buy high-quality pills and remember to take them than to buy liquid that will sit in the fridge unused.