Reply To: struggling with making decisions

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done struggling with making decisions Reply To: struggling with making decisions

strwbry
Participant

My advice: Take a deep breath and relax. You don’t have to have it all figured out by the time you’re 30. ADHD people tend to mature later than our peers. It’s pretty normal to not have a clear direction until later in adulthood. I am just going back to school at 32 for a career that fits my personality and ADHD traits.

Moving, leaving your support system while trying a new gig can be exciting at first, but once the newness wears off, once the loneliness sets in and it gets hard… I mean it’s great to have friends and family around to support you. Just saying. Maybe moving to a new city in the same state is a good idea. I have a lot of friends who moved from FL to Atlanta.

I love the idea of doing lists! Try writing out why you love the things you love to do. For me, the list was:
– movement
– flexibility
– problem solving
– creative
– clear structure/deadlines
– independence with accountability
– challenging
– makes a difference

I did a lot of research before choosing my current career. This website has some awesome resources. Also, don’t be afraid to visit places with the types of jobs that you’re thinking about. I spent a year checking out different places before I was sure I was ready to switch. Try an internship or volunteer in an area you might be interested in. Those are good ways to get a taste of the career to see if it fits. You may be able to tell right off the bat whether or not you could see yourself being there every day.

Also, AHDH people make great entrepreneurs when they have a good (organized) support team. It’s pretty cool that you’ve gotten to work for your dad. Maybe once you decide what direction to go your dad will have some good advice for making your career your own. 🙂

Best of luck!