Reply To: Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds Reply To: Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds

trandyjohnson
Participant

Don’t be upset by it. It was a relief to me to find out what the problem was – it answered a lot of questions. Don’t be scared of meds – just make sure you get the right kind at the right dosage. If meds aren’t for you, than another route might work. I’ve been on meds for 1.5 years and haven’t had any problems. Some things it definitely helps and others it doesn’t – everyone is different.

You shouldn’t be scared to talk to your parents – this is a very real condition with treatmeant options. They just might be concerned if the diagnosis is correct. Anxiety and depression can look like ADHD – and one or the other usually go with it. One of the the best doctors to see to be certain is a neuropsychologist, or comparable. I was with them for 3.5 hours of extensive interviewing, a tiring series of tests and answering questions. They tell you nothing then. 6 weeks later I got a 7 page letter outlining in detail that I definitely had moderate ADHD, primarily inattentive type. There’s a spectrum of severity and types and he outline in great detail where I scored normally, and where I showed problems. They end with with a treatment suggestion tailored to your particular condition. If you doctor did less than this, I would be a little cautious.