Reply To: struggling with making decisions

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done struggling with making decisions Reply To: struggling with making decisions

ADHDinPGH
Participant

I can totally relate to your feelings! Know first that most people our age will not settle into one career for the rest of our lives. With fewer and fewer companies offering full benefits and good salaries it is hard to find one place to work until retirement. And I know many successful people in their 40s, 50s, and beyond who have made several career moves in their professional life, so don’t feel like you have to decide one thing now to do forever.

I spent all of my 20s doing a modgepodge of jobs — admin work, waiting tables, customer service, etc. it wasn’t until I was 33 that I found a career path in municipal government. For me this has been a great move because I get awesome benefits, reasonable pay, and the ability to move to other offices or departments if I find a position that is a better fit for where I am in my life at that time. I get to work with people and help solve problems — two of my greatest skills.

Write down a list of things you’re good at, things you like doing, and experience you have and see if you can identify some crossover in those things that can give you an idea of jobs you may want to do. Start looking at job postings just to see what’s out there and may interest you. That will help you to identify a starting point for actually landing a job you want. Good luck!