Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate. Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

AmberAdelWest
Participant

Hi I am new here. My almost 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD just at a year ago. She was firs put on Methylphenodate liquid, as she could not swallow pills. The first couple months, roughly were like a light switch! She was sooo much better. Even her angry outbursts lasted less than 1/4 of the time they used to and they happened a lot less. But gradually her meds started to not work like they used to. And we started having a rebound effect that was almost unbearable. She she learned to swallow pills and was switched to Strattera, as her half brother was successfully on it for 10+ years. It made her worse. SHe was getting in trouble in school even. So after a month of trying that her Dr. took her off and tried her on Concerta. But because she has SUCH a high metabolism it did nothing after an hour or so. So he swiched her back to Methylphenodate and upped the dose. She seemed to improve, at least in the behavior area, and in the mornings at school as well. We opted to do the Genesight test in the meantime. THe results showed a moderate drug interaction with the Methylphenodate, she he changed her to Vyvanse. This was just a week ago, tomorrow. But the first day we noticed that she was VERY irritable and angry. She would scream kick, hit us, hit herself, cry, etc. at the drop of a hat. Way worse than on the Methyl. But she said she notices she can focus more in class. And at home she has wanted to read a lot and work on her learning game that they do in school. When we went shopping over the weekend, she still seemed pretty hyper and impulsive to me though. I was really hoping that spending the $ on the Genesight test would be fruitful and we would find that “Aha Med”. But it is not looking that way at least yet. I am thinking she may need a combination of meds?? THoughts?? My other concern is that she is almost 50 inches tall but only weighs 42 lbs, and this med make her eat VERY VERY little. We are talking maybe 2 bites of her lunch, a few bites of cereal in the morning and only a bit of her dinner at night. And less snacks as well. Thanks in advance for your help and advise!