Reply To: Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds Reply To: Think I got diagnosed today – scared to talk to parents, scared to go on meds

vlterrell
Participant

I was diagnosed in May and was really thrown off by that. I have been depressed for years and was sent to a psychiatrist who decided it was ADHD, and prescribed medication. I was petrified and freaked out and so many things. I was off work during May, as I had just fallen apart prior to being diagnosed, so I had a month to worry and ruminate and research.

You don’t have to tell anyone, but do read up on it and you will have many “Ah, hah!” moments, and many moments where you think, “Oh, I totally do that!” And you will find it explains so much. Then, you can better understand yourself and anticipate certain things, and learn how to mitigate them. I worried that when I went back to work, I would screw up again, and was really stressed by that. But the medication made a world of difference to me. The knowledge also made a huge difference. Because now you know why you do certain things, and you can work on how to avoid those behaviors or responses.

Here is what took me a while to figure out. You are still you. Now, you have an explanation of why you are like you are, and you can learn to work with your strengths and learn tools to help with your weaknesses. There are tons of resources out there to help you figure it all out. This hasn’t changed who you are, but it is explaining some things for you, and why you do what you do , and why certain things are really difficult for you. I just always thought I was a giant screw up, and now I can see why I made such a mess of so many things. So, now I know what to look for and can try to head those things off at the pass.

You will be fine. Don’t use it as an excuse. Learn how to adapt to it and compensate. Nothing about you has changed, except now you have some knowledge you didn’t have previously.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by vlterrell. Reason: errors