Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate. Reply To: My 7 year old son with ADHD is violent and aggressive to me. I am desperate.

Jessica Paret
Participant

My 7 year old had the same issues – major meltdowns, rages, anger, constant irritability and unhappiness. It was nonstop once school ended and he was acting out in ridiculously unacceptable ways. We went to see the psychologist that diagnosed his ADHD and she immediately referred us to someone who works with kids with mood and anxiety disorders as she knew it was not just ADHD. Our son was diagnosed with DMDD and they recommended Abilify to help with the anxiety and mood regulation. (Seeing the behavior as a result of anxiety is a whole new lens and it makes so much more sense now) The abilify has been a lifesaver and now we can actually work with our son on behaviors and helping him learn how to regulate whereas prior to the meds, he was so wrapped up in his anxiety, anger and irritation we couldn’t reach him. I was so appreciative of the explanation that the mood dysregulation manifests as behavioral problems and finally having someone validate us as parents that we have a behavior problem but not a discipline problem. The abilify was not an easy decision but we were desperate and it has made all the difference in the world. Good luck.