Reply To: Trying to do self care with an ADHD spouse feels impossible

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Trying to do self care with an ADHD spouse feels impossible Reply To: Trying to do self care with an ADHD spouse feels impossible

oklahoma73162
Participant

Hello….
I also have a similar situation, however I am the spouse with the ADHD.. LOL… I am easily disrupted with sleep and try hard to follow a specific routine in order to have good sleep hygiene, and I frequently tell him that his odd sleeping habits affect me and it will get better for a while only for it to go right back to him getting up at odd hours.

I have learned that I need the specific sleep that is not interrupted in order to appropriately function the next day. That means work full time, take care of the kids, him and the household.

We have 3 children, one of which also is diagnosed with ADHD and another that is about to be tested for the same thing.

Would you be able to sleep in separate beds or rooms? Does it bother you for him just to come into the room or is it when he gets into bed? If it’s the movement of the bed, consider getting twin beds however if it’s he just can’t be quiet coming in the room then sleeping in separate rooms or one of you on the couch maybe another option. I wish I had better answers, I still resort to fussing at my husband because I refuse to sleep separately but that’s just me personally.